UK more than 2 weeks >> can't give blood

I have no idea if this is just a silly story, and it does sound far-fetched - but my Japanese friend who went to the UK for 17 days a few years ago does not seem to think so.

She said that if you go to the UK for more than 2 weeks, you are not allowed to give blood in Japan - because of the Mad Cow thing that was going on.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Yes, it's absolutely true.

Matsuyama is completely out of blood type 'O' apparently, and my whole family is a veritable fount and wellspring of that blood type. But we might all be full of prions too, so we are unacceptable.

scouser, Japanese authorities probably don't know what vegetarians are so they'd be very suspicious of that.

Is this just a UK ban or other countries too? It sounds a bit ridiculous... Wasn't there some cases of mad cow here in Japan recently? Perhaps no-one can give blood.

Had this about two years ago when I arrived, not sure if it is 17 days but i was told 4 months in a BSE "tainted" country and you can`t give blood. However at the time USA was coming up with some cases and for some strange reason they were still aloud to giove blood. This really shits me becuase of what O11 says but also becasue coming from a farming background back home we have some of the most stringent BSE tests around, compared to the French for example we are some of the safest Beef. Just hapened that our government admitted to the cases in our country and published a report where as in France no report has ever been published or cases admitted to despite it being found.

I heard that it was an indefinite time that they can't give blood - so basically until the rule changes. This was a school nurse that told me this, I don't know how much she knows about it all. (It gave me a good excuse to talk with here though. \:D )