I am sure it probably rocks.....isnt a shame that the Windows PC is an open platform and the Mac isnt. Shame, we could all be using apple clones right now and Windows would be the minority.

Such is life.

Steve Jobs would be the worlds richest man and Bill Gates would be a just another computer dweeb

> Steve Jobs would be the worlds richest man and Bill Gates would be a just another computer dweeb

What a weird and irrational thing to say!

And an OS that 'rocks' is by definition a pain in the arse. I'm annoyed when I have to use a Mac and it rocks at me (and fades in and out, and bulges, and twitches in that dynamic way it has.)

I have Tiger installed on one Mac now - this message is coming to you via Tiger...

There are still a few applications that I use that have not been updated so I won't install it on my main computers yet. It does import applications and preferences very nicely so there is little set up after installing.

I will soon put it on all my machines - Spotlight is really fast and I have a lot of data that Spotlight will sort out for me and save tons of time. Tiger also feels generally snappier than Panther - and Apple's attention to visual detail makes it look nicer too...and a lot less "annoying" than viruses, spyware, adware and, um, Windows...

Hey, fjef, heh heh, you and iTm might both live in Chiba, but you have definite Tiger desire differences ;\)

Snappier is nice to know. Yes, I need to also wait for a few apps to get updated. I'm assuming that from what your saying the upgrade is much breezier than from 10.2 to Panther.

How was China? Did you get to go skiing there?

Not really differences - iTim is a Mac tech support guy - kinda like a Maytag repair person - there is so little work required supporting Macs, he gets bored. If all his clients had windows problems, he would be much busier (and wealthier).

Northern China was about 28C when I arrived - I would have had to travel 3 days to find snow. I was busy enough seeing people I hadn't seen for 18 years so I promised I would return next year. I would love to ski in China - I'll get there next year...

• 2 weeks later...

Sexy?? The iMac 20" is indeed that, and she runs like a dream.

I had ordered the one with the standard 259Gb HD and a upped the memory to 1gb and a wireless keyboard an mouse.

First Apple tell me I will receive it on May 12th (ordered on may 5th() Thought that was a bit long to wait and Oh, they had made a mistake and I will receive it on the 18th. mmmm I am not a patient person. Then I received an email saying that it would be shipped on the 23rd from a foriegn country as parts were unavailable??? I was fuming.

Rang Apple in Nagoya, and they could do it in a day. So i was able to cancel the original order and brought it home last saturday (14th may) and boy is it worth every minute of waiting. Then yesterday while I was looking at a website it froze and wouldn't reboot. Disc won't repair and now there is NO HD!

Apple say they will pick it up and I will have a new one in a week OR SO! I am taking it to Nagoya store tomorrow in hope that they will be able to change it over (new comp or HD) but they way my luck has been running i don't think so...

I never had a gripe about apple till i needed their assistance!

But i guess when you need something done quick it always takes too long.

aaarrrggghh

oh wow, interesting to hear about your problem indo. i've never had a problem with apple in the past 6 years until i bought my new iBook. less than a month after purchase the whole screen dies, turns out some hardware malfunctioned.

trying to get the bloody thing serviced was a nightmare, forced to line up and wait for hours at an apple store, and wait almost a month for the problem to be fixed - keep in mind i'd only had it for less than a month. customer service has been a complete nightmare, nobody anyware was remotely interested in my complaints/point of view, i'm really really unimpressed with how the whole thing was handled, especially when they market such a slick friendly image.

of course, the computer itself runs like a dream, my gripe is with the shoddy customer service.

> of course, the computer itself runs like a dream

Heheh, keep telling yourself that.

I have a very useful habit of hitting Ctrl +S after every sentence I write. My first Mac with all its hardware flaws taught me that.

How many of you actually use both a Mac and Windows PC on a daily basis and would therefore be semi qualified to sate which is more stable or better than the other?

I've used both, and they've both have their problems. But Mac fans are programmed to come out with the funniest stuff.

While all the Mac and Windows OSs I've used have crashed occasionally, I've had no major hardware issues with Windows machines, and no viruses. Which cannot be said for Macs. I've had crippling problems in both areas. I also prefer the simplicity of the Windows 'Classic' OS, rip-off though it may be.

I'd be interested to know what the criteria for "of course the computer itself runs like a dream" are. My computer is a bit more prosaic than most of my dreams, but it's still a very reliable tool, and the company that made it provided excellent support when I wanted to add bits and bobs.

OSX changes the crash issues from older macs with it's much more stable Linux basis. Generally speaking for what I hear about the mac population (and my own experience) crashes in OSX are way more rare. And yes, there are hardware issues that happen like those above, but I have no idea the percentage of those. Perhaps not so high. I'm fortunate to never have had a problem in that department myself.

I never have and never will get excited about a type of computer and an operating system. The whole idea seems very strange to me.

And I must have been lucky I've never really had any enormouse computer-related nightmares.

Computers are just a tool in the end… I guess I meant it does everything I want it to. Mostly I just use my mac for basic things, nothing too complicated. I just like the way macs look and operate, and I find their programs simple and easy to use (eg iTunes) whereas I find windows quite clunky. No doubt other people will disagree, it doesn’t really matter much in the grand scheme of things.

Virus wise, I thought PCs were forever getting bugs, whereas the only ones that exist for macs are related to Microsoft office programs?

> Virus wise, I thought PCs were forever getting bugs, whereas the only ones that exist for macs are related to Microsoft office programs?

I'm talking relatively ancient history there. The 'Michelangelo' Mac virus, spread by floppy, killed most of my data in 1991 or thereabouts. If you have the right protection on your PC, and exercise common sense, you can be completely immune. Fingers crossed.

Is there anything about Macs that particularly makes them immune to viruses, other than they are not such a big target?

from the nerds i've spoken to (and i mean that in the nicest way), it's just a matter of time until someone develops a virus for a mac, its just that at the moment, there aren't as many macs as PCs out there, so no-one's gotten round to writing one yet. which doesn't seem to make much sense to me, cos there's still heaps of mac users??

currently, the only viruses you can get on a mac will only affect Microsoft software.

ahh, but then i don't really know a huge amount about this sort of thing, i'm sure someone on here has a better idea.

Without going into the boring details, it is simply much harder to write viruses or spyware for the Mac because OS X is UNIX based and is inherently a much more secure system.

With so many Mac users telling PC users how safe they are, I can't imagine that hackers haven't tried - but so far, no luck. There have been prizes offered ($10,000 - a lot for an aspiring teen-age hacker) for anyone who can hack a Mac over the internet and so far, no winners.

If you haven't used both OS's recently, please don't give your uniformed input about one or the other. There are loyalists in both camps that will never budge or compromise.

I use both - a Mac to be productive and Windows for testing, troubleshooting and helping other people out of trouble - a lot of people get paid a lot for doing this. I spend a lot of time on the windows machine just to keep it running - virus definitions need updating, security patches are slow to plug holes etc. - its not much fun.

But so far, Windows is definately way ahead in the virus/spyware department - about 60,000 to zip. Maybe someday someone will write a virus that works on OS X. And then it will be 60,000 to 1.