I have a sailboat but have been too lazy to get my class 4 licence in Japan. If anyone likes to sail, let me know - its a 27' boat moored in Kamogawa (Chiba) and insurance rules says I have to have a licenced person on the boat - I've sailed all my life but never lived anywhere that required a licence...

I can take 7 people and the water around Kamogawa is full of dolphins and flyin fish- not a bad way to spend time til it gets cold on the mountains again. Any takers?

I really want to get the time to do that this year. I didn't realise you had to have someone with a license. I'm going to try and join you once the weather hots up a bit more.

I love sailing and I've sailed around Enoshima several times. I never learned how to sail, usually my friends have licence. Today, we sailed in the Tokyo bay and we could see a pair of dolphins, too! They were so cool! I'm still drifting... ;\)

Around Kamogawa sounds much nicer than Tokyo bay!!

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
Heeeey fjef, is it time to sail?
I wish! The boat badly needs some TLC - needs to be hauled out of the water, scraped and painted and fixed up a bit. To do that, I have to spend at least 2 days on site for insurance reasons (that's what they tell me) and I have not had the time to arrange everything and get it done yet.
I leave tomorrow for a week in Europe - I hope I can get it sea worthy again soon...

fjef, if you need a hand give me a shout also, I only live down the way from you and am around the beach most weekends surfing or working with the conservation place near you whenever I have time. Couple of beers and I`ll scrape anyones boat!! :p

Thanks for the offers of help - its not in bad condition - just needs annual maintenance cause its in the water all year round...

I plan to make a weekend out of it - can BBQ, surf and party at the marina. The boat sleeps 7 inside and a few more have been known to crash on the deck. Kamogawa is at the south end of the Boso peninsula and the weather is generally very warm down there - even in May. I'll post more when I know the dates...

• 3 weeks later...

fjef, I had Jizake from Chiba with my dad, sister and brother in law last night. It's called Oyama-Senmaida 大山千枚田.

20050618_nkn_0136.jpg

03ooyama_03.jpg

This rice area is near Kamogawa, isn't it?

Me Tarzan and I would love to come too. (I think one of the only reasons why Me Tarzan is willing to move to the UK is that my best friend's husband promised to go halves buying a boat with him!) We don't have any experience though.

A BBQ, beach and painting weekend sounds fun.

Me Tarzan can shake us some good cocktails too! \:D

From what I could figure out the license system has changed. The former 5th class is now a class 2 and the former 1st to 4th classes are now Class 1.

If you need someone with a licence I have a friend with a new class 2 but maybe that is not enough for your boat?

Scroll down this page for some info in English.

Soubriquet,

In a few years, yes. Planning on two years time at the mo. I want to go back and do a PGCE for teaching primary. Hoping to work in the UK but, if things don't work out (business-wise for Tarzan) and we have to come back then I can try to find work at one of the international schools.

Quote:
Originally posted by slow:
fjef, I had Jizake from Chiba with my dad, sister and brother in law last night. It's called Oyama-Senmaida 大山千枚田.
20050618_nkn_0136.jpg
03ooyama_03.jpg
This rice area is near Kamogawa, isn't it?
Kamogawa is where the boat is but we live about 1 hour north near Ohara/Misaki. I'm not a big sake drinker so I'm not able to comment.

If you registered a boat outside Japan, I bet you'd have a hard time finrding a marina that would take you in for any length of time and you'd also have insurance problems...

I've been pretty busy with work and travel lately but I will have to get the boat situation in order soon - will post when its ready for a weekend...
  • 2 months later...

My boat is lonely this summer so far- I've been really busy and it needs 2 days of work before it can go out this year. Sept through Dec is the best time of year so I hope its ready to go then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was on the sailing boat for three days last weekend. However, August isn't good time for sailing, no wind and we could sail maybe less than 5hours in those three days.

Sailing itself is fun but I had a few unpleasant things on the boat. One thing is Tokyo bay, when you get closer to Tokyo bay, the water is getting very very dirty. The sky toward Tokyo is as dirty as the sea. It was so disgusting to think this is where I live...

Another thing, we caught two dolphinfish(mahimahi in Hawai?) and cut off their head to keep fish meat fresh. I thought we were going to eat but we didn't and threw away in the ocean on the last day. I felt so bad but those guys I was with felt no discomfort...

And I had forgotten that I hated jet boats and personal watercrafts but they were everywhere.

This sailing trip showed me the reality. \:\(

That's why I keep my boat on the Pacific side of Chiba - I have no interest in fishing and the sailing conditions are usually pretty exciting because there is nothing between Kamogawa and Vancouver Island except ocean - the water is much cleaner than Tokyo or Sagami bays.

I was expecting to sail to Kozu or Shikine island from Oshima on the second day. But we heard black current near Toshima was pretty rapid, so decided to steer north west headed for Ito. And then we heard all marinas in Izu peninsula were fully booked. So we had to steer north east 60 degrees headed for Boso peninsula and cross Tokyo bay... Yeah, Sotobo sailing must be much more exciting and nice. Do you sail to Vancouver Island, fjef?