Here's how to make the cheddar quiche, more or less, we had today. Use baking mix if you don't have the ingredients to make the base yourself. It was delicious, I thoroughly recommend it.

-----------------

INGREDIENTS:

120 g all-purpose baking mix

2 g salt

0.5 g ground black pepper

80 ml milk

3 slices bacon, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

225 g shredded Cheddar cheese

4 eggs

5 g salt

1 ml hot pepper sauce

1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk, heated

-------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan.

In a medium bowl, mix together the baking mix, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Gradually mix in the milk until moistened. Knead a few times on a floured board. Roll dough out to a 12 inch circle, and press into the greased pie pan. Fold edges, and flute.

Place bacon and onion in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, and cook until bacon is evenly brown. Drain, and crumble bacon. Sprinkle bacon, onion, and Cheddar cheese into the pie pan.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs with 1 teaspoon salt and hot pepper sauce, then slowly stir in hot evaporated milk. Pour into the pie shell.

Bake 5 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue baking 25 minutes, or until center is almost set. Do not over bake - the quiche will set as it cools.

EAT!

I usually use fresh cream and Parmigiano-Reggiano when I bake quiche lorraine which is very rich. I may try evaporated milk instead of fresh cream next time.

Let's have a cheese party, cheeseman!

Cheeseman, annoyance has changed to fascination (if I may make a personal observation). Are you employed in the international cheese business, or is cheese just an all-consuming hobby of yours? Do tell!

Did you have a bottle of white wine with your quiche, and if so what sort?

I am not employed in the international cheese business, although that would surely be a dream job.

So I'll take the other option....cheese is not just delicious, nutritious and fun for all - it is also an all-consuming hobby of mine. And of cheesewoman as well.

\:D

What cheese do you like?

Cheeseman, I too love cheese and respect your unswerving commitment to the cause.

If you ever get the chance check out King Island Dairy cheeses. King Island is a little island between Tasmania and the mainland of Australia, famous for lush grass and very happy cows. Their cheese has won numerous international awards and the double brie, smoked cheddar and camenbert (sp?) is particularly tasty! One of my other favorites is a Mersey Valley aged vintage cheese infused with green peppercorns. Tasmania has very good cheese.

Totemo oiishi!!!!! thumbsup.gif

Cheeseman, I baked a very good NY cheesecake the other day. Graham cracker for basement and cream cheese, sour cream, fresh cream, eggs, sugar. It was very rich and heavy. ;\)

Have you tried the ancient cheese of Nara? You can get it at Asuka in Nara Prefecture. It's quite sweet, almost like a dessert. But there are two Asuka's in Nara, so don't do what I did and go to the wrong one. Cycling between them when I realized my mistake was rather tiring...

(Actually when I first encountered breast-milk baby poo, I was quite powerfully reminded of the ancient Nara cheese. If I had been as devoted to my cheese as cheeseman, I might have followed my temptation and licked my fingers after cleaning up baby H11.)

Yes I have tried some Nara cheesae, and very nice it was too. I do love cheese. Not only is it delicious, but also nutritious and fun for all.

I have never tried King Island Dairy cheeses, but would surely like to. Can I get it on the internet?