I thought "breakbeats" now meant stuff like Adam Freeland or, as Dims says, Plump DJs. It's "chunky" party music that's kind of a cross between techno-pop (say Underworld or the Chemical Brothers), jump-up style drum'n'bass (say DJ Hype), and Fatboy Slim. Fans often describe it as "funky", but most of the stuff I've heard was more "in your face" with a "pick you up and shake you around" approach rather than a strong or deep groove that is characteristic of funk records. I'm quite happy listening to darkcore d'n'b (say Ed Rush or Photek) or hard techno (say Jeff Mills) so this is not a prejudice against electronica. Most breakbeats seem to come out of the UK.

http://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/featured/7227.html

http://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/featured/8702.html

Thats a long way from the sound of K and D or the Thievery Corporation.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
I'm quite happy listening to darkcore d'n'b (say Ed Rush or Photek) or hard techno (say Jeff Mills) so this is not a prejudice against electronica.

http://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/featured/7227.html
http://www.tunes.co.uk/tunes/featured/8702.html

Thats a long way from the sound of K and D or the Thievery Corporation.
Wiggles man Ed Rush rules!!!!In general all staff published under the “No U-tern” records label are amazing.

I like anything that has “a-men” beats inside (i.e. 10 step beats for the baseline). You can’t find them easy lately though. All new staff usually have 2-step for the baseline, which is ok but I still prefer something faster.

Have you been at any good gig lately? I mast admit that I am quite disappointed. The last good live set I ve been was 2 years ago at liquid room, when the “Congo natty” group came.

Yeah I didn't think K & D were strictly breakbeat, but then again the catagorization of electronica often confuses me. I like it if sounds good. I have the James Lavelle Global Underground CD, which is described as follows: "zigzags between dub, hip hop, deadly breaks and beat driven house". A lot of electronica is pretty hard to define really.

good to hear breaks are popular!! i am the only dj in japan who organises breaks parties regularly, last year i brought out elite force, adam freeland and will saul. last month it was koma and bones. Next week i will dj with a HUGE bb guy!!! let me know if you are in tokyo and i:ll pass on the details

Quote:
Originally posted by klubhead:
good to hear breaks are popular!! i am the only dj in japan who organises breaks parties regularly, last year i brought out elite force, adam freeland and will saul. last month it was koma and bones. Next week i will dj with a HUGE bb guy!!! let me know if you are in tokyo and i:ll pass on the details
details please!

hey friends...thanx for asking..

this friday ( 20) at unit in daikanyama.... Dj Friendly from Fat! records. his first time to dj in japan, HUGE breaks dj in the uk and oz... history in the making. plus me ( mike mckenna - disco science), duck rock, jamie k, kai, ozaki, saru, sakai and a live pa from moments of truth.. on 2 floors!!

send me an e-mail and i'll hook u up with some discounts, mjm@gol.com

will be a MONSTER!!

dooood, "met" you once really quickly at Simoon over a year ago. You knew a guy that I used to say hi to at various clubs around Tokyo. I never knew his name but saw him everywhere I went, so we used to say g'day to each other every now and then. One time I had a chat with him and you were there.

I think I also bumped into you another time but it was all very blury.

Forgot to mention a kind of break beat tune I kind of used to like: Fibonacci Sequence.... not sure who created it. Also sort of enjoyed that heavy break stuff by Overseer, but sometimes it sounded a little to 'tough guy' for me.

Nice one man. Get the kiddies out! I prefer techno (not loops), house, or club jazz to breakbeats, but I bet it really gets them going. Clubbing in Japan is great.

I would call K and D "leftfield". Their work varies quite a lot in style as well as quality, so they're not suited to pigeon-holing. The "breakbeats" klubhead refers to is quite established now as a separate genre of party music.

Tsonda - "The Raven" by Ed Rush on Metalheadz is my all time fave dark tune. It's about eight years old though. I don't really go out any more. If you do, Andy C is coming soon.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Wiggles:
Tsonda - "The Raven" by Ed Rush on Metalheadz is my all time fave dark tune. It's about eight years old though. I don't really go out any more. If you do, Andy C is coming soon.
I have "The Raven" on 12 inch, I used to DJ DNB back home. My favorite from Ed Rush is his yellow color LP, the one that has some kind of mechanical monster on the sleeve. Sorry I cant recollect the name.

Thanks for the info about Andy C, had no idea that he is coming. Do you know any dates?

Klubhead: Friday is a bit to hard for me to come. I will do my best though and if I am not dead tired I will pass by to say hallo.