• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Reading something like that always makes me wonder, especially being in Niseko, what will happen when this happens around here. Who knows what really happened before the aussie's got there but they did a fantastic job.

Yesterday, whilst riding in Hanazono for a few quick runs before work, I watched in amazement as scores of people ducked ropes and traversed across the face above Hanazono, all trying to get some fresh pow, 3 days after rain and 45cm of fresh snow on top. Something tragic will happen here sooner or later but there won't be enough experienced people around to help.

Very few people ride with gear and although not steep in many places, avalanches happen on 30 degree pistes all the time, especially when conditions aren't ideal.

For those who don't know what they are doing, please don't endanger others by riding above people on open faces, make sure you are prepared if you are going into the back country or even ducking the ropes. You never know when it will be you having to dig people out.

Regarding the Hakkoda accident, there is now a rumour making the rounds in the Japanese BC circles. I do not want to say anything here since, as far as I know, there is no definite conclusion as to what triggered that slide.

As for Niseko, the fact that it is mostly low angle does not mean it will not slide as you rightly pointed out. 25 degree slopes can slides with the right conditions.

Somebody riding purposefully above you in the BC is guilty of attempted manslaughter and should be dealt with accordingly.

Originally Posted By: SerreChe
Regarding the Hakkoda accident, there is now a rumour making the rounds in the Japanese BC circles. I do not want to say anything here since, as far as I know, there is no definite conclusion as to what triggered that slide.

m8, I am sure that you recognize that the Hakkoda accident is a pretty sensitive issue for many people. I don't think it is a wise strategy to post in a public forum that there is a rumor unless you are willing to share it.

actually I do not think the accident was sensitive. It was a tragedy like many other avalanche accidents (and I am not saying that I do not feel sorry for what happened to these peeps, on the contrary). The reason I am mentionning it is 'cos I am wondering whether anybody has heard anything similar, but it seems not since there were no reactions. If not then it is better to leave it at that otherwise I am myself purporting something that is probably innacurate. It is a fine line to walk. We can talk about it next time I see you.

Originally Posted By: neversummer
Reading something like that always makes me wonder, especially being in Niseko, what will happen when this happens around here. Yesterday, whilst riding in Hanazono for a few quick runs before work, I watched in amazement as scores of people ducked ropes and traversed across the face above Hanazono, all trying to get some fresh pow, 3 days after rain and 45cm of fresh snow on top. Something tragic will happen here sooner or later but there won't be enough experienced people around to help.
Very few people ride with gear and although not steep in many places, avalanches happen on 30 degree pistes all the time, especially when conditions aren't ideal.
For those who don't know what they are doing, please don't endanger others by riding above people on open faces, make sure you are prepared if you are going into the back country or even ducking the ropes. You never know when it will be you having to dig people out.

Reading this worries me!
We are 2 days out of Niseko - currently in Tokyo - and I have been checking the Avie reports every day for the past couple of weeks. I have no intention of heading BC - I will be Piste Running and chasing the kids down to keep them in sight. But I think it is vital that everyone on (or around) the snow is aware of the current conditions. We are travelling with friends who may chose to duck ropes and do some hiking into the BC - and *I* will definately have the info at the ready for them.

I have scored a great backpack with shovel and probe pockets and I am almost tempted to buy these items and carry them - except I am just likely to fall on them and hurt myself!! LOL Why people who are ACTUALLY taking these risks are not going out there prepared is just beyond me!!!

Mamabear, I would recommend you get an introduction to the BC by a friend who has some experience or a guide so that either of them can explain to you the ins an out. It may seem a bit daunting or dangerous but if you go with the right people and the right equipment it is relatively safe and enjoyable (although there is never zero risk). You can start very easy and learn slowly. Being aware of the weather conditions is always important as well.

I think in Niseko you probably have more risk falling into a creek in early season or hitting a tree.

A friend just came back from Niseko and told me it was all tracked out by 10am.

Mamabear, just buying the stuff won't help. It will get you into trouble if you think that stuff is intuitive enough to use. You need BC safety training before you even think of buying that stuff.

With so many kids, you need to be safety trained for them as well.

May beg to differ on this FT. There have been several inbounds avis back in the states this year. one a few days ago at Squaw. While FT is right. 99.9% of the time you don't need it may come in handy if your caught in it or may be able to lend a hand to patrolers.

wattiewatson

I think your missing my point. There are ares that are inbounds that do slide. Even after patrol may have given it the go ahead. Or have some dipstick ride a closed run and send a bunch of snow down on people that may be below. If you are going to be on some green groomers most likely you don't need it. Living in Japan most ski areas you probably don't need to carry. But there are many other resorts in the world that having gear may not be a bad idea.

Beside it cant hurt to carry it. I generally have keep all my stuff in one pack and find it easy to just grab it. Servers two purpose's my gear is with me and two lesser of a deal it keeps me used to skiing with a loaded pack.

Do I always carry it no. Depends on were I'm skiing. Do all patrollers have avalanche training no.

quattro, you have got to work on that grammar, mate. That was painful.

As far as avi-gear is concerned for the inbounds stuff, I wouldn't sweat any groomers/courses virtually anywhere. (I'm a a certified Level 3 Avi cert from American Avalanche Institute.)

Off piste, however, in or out of bounds is completely different. I've ridden slides in-bounds. My work on Patrol taught me more about starting slides than anything. I can't even count (or estimate) how many slides I've started.

All of the recent inbounds slides making the news recently are offpiste, on big terrain. Even after the bombs and ski-cutting, there are always lingering slabs that could take out anyone and push them into a tree.

If you are willing to carry a shovel and a beacon, even if you are taking care of kids on greens, then I applaud you. If only that were standard... however, my training took years and heeps of cash. I don't expect the avaerage recreational skier to be willing to front that to go play in the snow.

either way, all snow slides. it's physics. (let me rephrase that- all snow IS SLIDING... right now.) Think silly putty. stretch it slowly, or break it by pulling it apart too quickly.

To tell you the truth, regardless of avie danger, I always carry my back pack with me. The balance on a snowboard is so much different without it, so like quatro, I have it on all the time with my shovel and some more staff in.

OK..just to be clear - at this point there is no out of bounds for me. I SAW snow for the first time in April - yes that is right APRIL 2007! I know ... total n00b!

However I am currently on my 4th snow trip in that time - and have had privates each time. I am geared up, and while old and unfit - ready to have a crack.

I have NEVER ridden with a back pack before - just me and my board. I added the helmet last trip - and as the only uninjured adult to make sure the kids don't let loose a flying snowboard, or end up in a tree well - I am thinking I might need to carry some Mummy equipment. (The stuff Daddy used to carry).

I have a slightly ADD/obsessive personality (be nice now) - so I have done masses of research on safety on snow, got a hold of research papers on injury rate in snowboarders v skiers (including other variables such as age/helmet use) etc etc. I have read the info, and watched the vid's on Avalanche safety. I haven't done a course yet - WOULD LOVE to though. Ohhh..and I am First Aid and rescue trained (for non-snow conditions).

I dont think I know everything - far from it. But I get really ticked when people take up new sports/interest/etc and launch in without even considering risk minimisation, whether that be for themselves or for those around them.

I wont be carrying Avie gear on piste. I have not bought any. But I have at least thought through what I would do, and how I could improvise if I were in the position to assist someone - be they my kid or someone else - be they immersed in a pile of POW, hit by an Avie or injured in a fall..

Way I see it - when you buy a lift pass as an adult you take on some level of responsibility for those around you.

FWIW mamabear, I think you're in the clear aside from "Huge" dumps.

being a nOOb with kids, I imagine you are far from getting hit. It's great that you're paying attention though. And- that is where the "Huge" dump factor comes in. Huge dumps have buried resort base areas. But even those resorts are at the bottom of huge faces.

Enjoy the winter, mamabear. Your kids are lucky to have you taking the precautions while introducing them to the glory of snow. These trees in japan are keeping you much safer than may be assumed.

Just a quick comment about the inbound slides. They DO happen but it would be more likely at a resort that has some steeps (not too many in Japan). Is 38 degrees the correct angle?

Also quatro mentioned a slide at Squaw Valley in Tahoe. Well, I used to ride at a nearby resort (Sierra at Tahoe). I checked the reports. They reported 93 inches in the last 7 days - that's over 200cm! Squaw's report was similar. Those are pretty unusual circumstances.