I've seen some dudes heading out into the B/C from the Nakayama-touge parking lot (on the highway between Sapporo and Niseko), but nobody had packs... guess they could have had their beacons and avylungs under their jackets and maybe shovels stowed somewhere on the machine. At least they had their helmets! I don't know if there is a whole bunch of avy awareness amongst the snowmobile community in Japan.

Hopefully this will be a big wake up, when we put our peips on in the carpark we get some strange looks from other sledders, i hope that changes. tough way to learn. helmets only got popular 2 or 3 years ago so should be interesting.

prayers to the familys.

• 8 months later...

An avy occured at Ansei Kako of Kami-HoroKamettoku-yama (1,920m), Tokachi mountain range on Nov 23 Friday around 12:05 noon.

Yahoo!Map: http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?lat=43%2F24%2F...pointer=on&sc=4

The 10 meters wide and 50 meters long avy attacked 11 members of Japan Alpine Club and one solo climber. Three men(60, 63 & 68) and one woman(56) were killed by suffocation. One was found in two metere snow depth. One weared his beacon, but others did not.

This area is popular in BC snowers, and they climbed up to the top in a line. Hokkaido had much snow fall on Nov 22, and was getting better on Nov 23 morining. There was an avy accident on Nov 13 in this area. They, local people knew avalanche risk really, but were caught after attempting to return when findiing out a small new debris.

I guess they did not wear skis alike. Because, they are reported to do "snow training", and three did not wear beacons in spite of the famous JAC senior members. Nowadays in Japan, members of apline ski/snowboard clubs must wear beacons. Newspapers tell "skiers or snowboarders" when skiers/snowboarders accidents.

SC

This is a classic example of honouring the old guard because of age irrespective of what conditions. What Alpinist club would lead a bunch of senior members(Non beaconed) into the bottom of a travine, to dig a snow pit after it has dumped extra ordinarily(first dump) onto a relatively hot surface for two days. Who takes responsibilty for this team expedition this is a warning to those seeking guiding this coming season.

There are many operations just wanting to do the numbers- be warned and do a serious background check on the people responsible for your livelyhood.

Terrible news.

I am surprised to hear the lack of equipment coming from senior peeps in the alpine club.

I think it is still worth mentionning the conditions and equipment so that others may learn (does not mean we do not feel any less for what happened).

A team of JSSI (Japan Society of Snow and Ice) investigted the scene on Nov 25. The avy size was 460m long with 70m wide corrected. The 70-80cm layer slipped down on the 40 degree 300m slope. The debris was 160m long with 69m width and 3m deep.

The team did not reach the starting point due to bad weather, so was not able to clarify a couse or a trigger.

Referred by http://www.hokkaido-np.co.jp/news/society/62457.html

Sandan-yam BC Ski Tour club released a flash report.

http://www.sandan.net/avalanche/2008/071123/071123.html

SC

trigger = people. according to the American Avalanche Institute, 90% of all deaths by avalanche are the result of avalanches caused by people.

edit* I don't actually have any reference for that... just remembering my old avi-cert days.