for the one or two other people I know on here that are hiking in the area around Kagura, there was a good-sized slide on the South face (towards Tashiro-side) about 50-70 meters above the #5 Kagura Romance lift.

A friend saw it go off on Saturday afternoon, said nobody was involved. Looks like a cornice dropped and triggered it naturally:

2007.02.18_avie.jpg

Looks like the exact same place as in the January slide:

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/5/128.html

When Kagura runs the #5 Kagura Romance lift (this year on March 3), this area gets heavy traffic. This is one cornice I'd be wary of stomping, though.

From 2 snow pits I did on Saturday on a similar south facing slope I got a moderate 2 @ 30 cm and a moderate 8 @ 80 cm. There was a pretty nasty 5 cm hoar layer between 2 ice layers that collapsed. I had problems even wile making the pits, because that thing kept on sliding without any force.

Below that the snow pack was pretty solid.

Isn’t that the slope that people usually hike on bare foot and boards on their hands, to the left of the 1-ko as you go up?

Thx for the info montoya.

Great info, serves as a good warning to all peeps wanting to head out in the BC. This season's pack is a tricky one. warm, cold, warm, rain, cold, snow, etc...

Corroborates the comments from the Minakami Now site on SJ that I read the other day as well.

Great to see the info sharing by all on the conditions out there (Montoya, Tsonda, Minakami Now, Hakuba now, + other...), thanks.

By the way Tsonda, I have never seen anybody hike barefoot out there :p (teasing), although that would be interesting to see.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsondaboy:
There was a pretty nasty 5 cm hoar layer between 2 ice layers that collapsed.
Do you mean depth hoar or buried surface hoar? I usually don't see that much surface hoar up on the top of the South face of Nakaone, usually it gets either blown off by the wind or melts from the sun.

SnowConnection, it's alittle to the west of your center mark. This photo shows the overall location better. You can see the top of the #5 Romance lift to the right of the picture, just behind the group of people about to huck off the cornice there.

2007.02.18_avie2.jpg

I said just hoar crystals in the post above because I did not identify what kind of crystals they were. You could not see any big feathery crystals any more but you could still get the sugary feeling when you spread them on your glove. Rounding had started so cant say for sure, sorry but I didnt take a look with my loop to see detailed structure. As soon as I saw that thing it didnt take much to take the decision, I am getting the hell outa here!

If memory serves, isn’t that the same area in your picks that there was a big fracture line last year?

we had a great day on saturday but then sunday things flip floped and got dangerous.

the ice layer went at about mod 3 to 5. a roped ski cut didnt get anything to go. the cornices were ice chunks and the ones we could break roped up didnt trigger anything.

Sunday the temp change really got the pack moving. one hard cut and the snow moved and went down. I took one run and went home.

I was up there only for Sat.The weather was bound to get bad from Sat night and the present conditions on the slopes didnt make me wanna stay more. That layer will take more than a week to bond.

By the way,I wanna come back up in Hakuba for some spring pits with Dave.