I thought I would write a review on the 2-day course I just went on last weekend. Maybe it will help some people decide whether to take it or not. I know that before the course I looked around for avy courses and while I saw a few web sites, I really didn't know where was good, or anything about them.

I chose Evergreen because 1)it's in Hakuba which is close to me 2)it was in English and 3)it was recommended by some people on this forum.

http://www.evergreen-outdoors.com

The first day was spent in a comfortable log cabin classroom being lectured by Dave, the head instructor, with overheads and video thrown in too. We learnt all the avalanche basics (route finding, snow crystal differentiation, all about weak & strong layers, temperature gradients, etc ,etc. ) Just listing everything we covered would take a 10page essay. We also went outside and reviewed beacon use and practiced playing 'hide the beacon'. The best thing about the first day (well both days) had to be the instructor. Dave is extremely knowledgeable and he answered all of our questions completely. He speaks quietly but is very engaging. Even though the lesson lasted til 7:30 or 8 that night, I really wanted it to go on. I think that if it had been anyone else I would have fallen asleep half-way through. Anyways, I don't think we could have crammed more information in there that day and I was looking forward to applying my new knowledge the next day. The other staff were just as knowledgeable and approachable.

Day 2 was spent at Tsugaike ski resort. We took the gondola to the top and then hiked. On the way up, Dave stopped a number of times and let a number of us try our hand at route finding. After a couple of hours we found a good spot and split into 2 groups to dig some snowpits. We spent most of the day in the pits learning how to analyze different snow layers using a variety of tests. It was really hands-on. At the end of the day we had a simulation rescue which was a great chance to put everything we had learnt to use. My group did a decent job with the beacon-wearing victims but took 40 minutes to find a no-beacon victim. It really brought home the fact that if you don't have a beacon your chances of being found are literally the same as finding a needle in a haystack. I remember thinking as my arms were aching from the non-stop probing "screw this guy, we'll never find him. He's an idiot for not wearing a beacon".

If I think back to my attitudes before getting a beacon and before doing this course I shudder. Ignorance is bliss I guess if you don't realize you are doing something dangerous (and nothing bad happens!). Before I got the beacon I really did not think about unstable snow and generally didn't think anything could happen to me. Then recently I got the beacon and you kind of feel like 'I've the beacon/probe/shovel so I'm ready for anything' but the reality is, if you don't have proper training with the equipment then it's useless. Even with training it can be useless. (I just read about a guy who was equipped, had years of experience and who was even wearing an avalung...but he got swept into trees and died).

After taking this course, I am at least aware of the danger, and have acquired some basic skills to help with the life & death decision-making found in the backcountry. It was a great experience. I know that I've just uncovered the tip of the iceberg so to speak and I am planning on doing more courses.

I highly highly recommend this course. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

I remember taking my RAC course back in 98

I was just a teenager at the time but had already been into the BC many times before that fully unprepaired for anything that might happen

I didn't really do much BC after that course because I knew the risks, couldn't afford the gear, and didn't have like minded BC buddies.

That course has really helped me out in Japan looking at conditions, thinking about the snowpack and safe riding.

I recommend the course to anybody in Japan that is even thinking of doing a run in the trees.

no. the cool thing is that if you haven't got the gear yet you can rent it from them. It's all on their site. I think its like 1500 to rent a beacon. That way you get to test different equipment (they use sos stuff) and you can decide what you like. I think they also have a discount for people on the course.

I found that I regretted getting my voile shovel since now I want one with a snowsaw in the handle.

Cool! I got the same joy from my level 1 course (not in Japan). Amongst many satisfying moments, I enjoyed studying the crystals. Looking through a loupe at snow on a card really was revealing. Snow really isn't just snow, and buried 'crappy old snow' has a way bigger story to tell (I'm talking rounding, bonding, facetting etc). I wont be studying crystals before a run, but now I know a little bit about what kind of snow has what kind of properties and how they came into existence.

With a recommendation like the this one from Kumapix, anyone thinking about doing a course should now easily make up their mind to get on a train to Hakuba and do it.

i took evergreen's beginner course in 2000 and the advanced course this winter. it's really eye-opening.

what i got the most out of the course is that dave teaches you about group management and decision making and he gives you the tools/knowledge to decide if a line or a day is safe or not.

as the BC "boom" has taken off in Japan and worldwide, more peeps are going out there and so there's a greater chance for accidents.

you get the necessary knowledge from this course and have fun at the same time!!

thanks to dave, i'll never even look at a picture of the mountains the same way again! ;\)

(those who've taken the course know what i'm talking about)

i second what toque said. Avie knowledge and awareness is necessary for anyone even veering off piste.

be prepared out there!

• 2 weeks later...

Nice write up Kumapix. I'd love to take the advanced course but work and family obligations have made that difficult. Ditto all the comments about the worthwhile nature of any avalanche awareness course, and Dave's in particular.

Everything I learnt on both days back in 2002 was of imeasurable value, but perhaps the best thing I learnt was that I didn't really know much at all. I still tend to rely on more experienced and clued up friends for issues such as snowpack assessment, which is just one reason why I'd like to go further with the training.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on same course, I definitely recommend it if you want to do any backcountry at all (even just ducking under the ropes!). You're right Kumapix, the highlight of the course was the instructor (Dave), he really knows his stuff. If I'm in the area next winter I'll be doing the advanced course for sure.

After the first day of the course I remember thinking "Beacon? $AUS500? I don't think so!" But after digging around for the beacon-less person on Sunday afternoon, I was converted - your only real chance of surviving an avalanche burial is if you've got a beacon.

Since doing the course I look at the mountain a different way now, it's not about "where is the best snow", it's "where is the most stable snow". I can't believe the stupid risks I was taking before the course - I had no regard for avalanche safety at all. Avalanches aren't a big concern in Australia cos our snow is kinda poor, but out here you need to be alert.

Cheers

Caroline