My friend believes that their has been many Avies in Niseko Japan and 50 deaths have occured this season, i truely dont believe that this is at all true. Is it?...

P.S Does anyone know the weather prospects for Jan 26th to Feb 12th?

Perhaps your buddy is confused ... There have been many avalanches reported in Honshu (see other threads on the Avi and BC Forum) and there have been deaths resulting from the huge snowfalls this season but not too many directly as a result of avalanches. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems most of the deaths this snow season (approximately 85, according to an NHK survey) have occurred when clearing snow from roofs, and most have been people aged over 50.

Yer i thought so...Do you know of any deaths in Niseko at all this season?... Just that im hosting a tour to niseko snowboarding however, becuase of this idiot its getting all my inexperienced boarders scared. \:\(

Quote:
Originally posted by Showman:
P.S Does anyone know the weather prospects for Jan 26th to Feb 12th?
Can you forcast the weather 10-20 days in advance in Oz???
No you can't
Do you think Japan is any different?

It will probably be below zero and most likely snowing a fair bit
Of course it could also be above zero and raining for your entire stay.
;\)

Showman,

They have just closed Super Course at Hirafu. There are many god size cracks above (aka 大広間)and a large crack just under the Center 4 lift.

Also, cracks are found outside of the resort boundaries (access thru gates like Strawberry, Jackson). Because you can't see them from above, I heard some accidents (minor injuries) have happend. I have not heard any avalanches outside of the ski area (except Chise)

But in general, within the boudaries are safe. If you go off thru the gates, looks like all bets are off this season