If you are in the Niseko region, there's a free map with known high-risk areas. Note, they are 'known high-risk areas'. Avalanches can happen anywhere if the conditions are right, even when the avalanche warnings say 'low'. That's why the warnings never say 'safe' or 'nil'.

Safe sliding. Have fun.

Sorry. I don't know where to get the Niseko avo maps in Niseko. If you ask in some of the shops/guiding places there, they may have some. If you are in the Sapporo area, I think the main outdoor (Shugakushio & ICI Sports) have them. Again, they don't tell you where is safe, they only mark the known, high-risk areas. Have fun.

The thing about Japan and this is just from what I have seen in the North Alps is that the relief is huge. You get these huge peaks topping 3000 metres that have open faces running for more than 1500 metres sometimes to the valley floors which are very narrow.

I have found a few areas which would offer "safe" adventures however getting into them would involve far more time and effort than even I am willing to put in.

Areas of the North Alps that do offer easy access are found around Hakuba, Norikura and maybe Ontake (North Alps??) but I have not really ventured into these areas other than in the spring, summer and fall when they are a lot safer.

Aomori-ken, Hakkora. Potentially (and quite often) nasty, nasty weather up there. Many have died. If you go, be prepared. Snow shoes are a plus and walki talki's (sp??) are helpful. Beware of deep tree wells and zero visibility. eek.gif

Spent a bit of time there over the past few years and the snowpack,combined with the steep chutes can be quite dicey in my opinion.Many people have died there over the years,I think it is adangerous yet rewarding place.Meet me there early Feb and I will tell u more!!!

• 4 weeks later...

From Tenjinn One, there are many chutes that end up at valleys like Nishiguro, Machiga. Like Seanbird, this place claims the hightest number of death in both Summer and Winter. I saw a tons of debris at the bottem all the time and when good to ski, it is most dangerous. But it is most rewarding. Check out a DVD called GIFT, the place is nothing you'd expect in Japan, and only a few hours drive from Tokyo.