Hey guys going to Nisekio in early Feb. Firstly is this the best time to go as i have heard Jan can be snowed out allot die to storms.

Secondly does anyone know a good guide that i could hire for a day or to to show us arround?

And what are the prices for guides roughly??

Not really going through a company as such just booking through travel agencies.

Haven't done allot of backcountry so thought this would be a great way to experience it.

Also does anyone know where you can get good maps of the Nisekio area (on the net), that would help in getting arround the ski area.

Not really going through a company as such just booking through travel agencies.

Haven't done allot of backcountry so thought this would be a great way to experience it.

Also does anyone know where you can get good maps of the Nisekio area (on the net), that would help in getting arround the ski area.

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
 Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyk:
i have heard Jan can be snowed out a lot die to storms.
What?
translation: I have heard that Jan can be snowed out a lot due to storms. C'mon Toque, you really have been hanging with FF too much ;\) :p
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have talked to the people at NOMAD. Are Based out of Sapporo and they rock(may not service Niseko?). Also another guide who was featured in Outside mag a couple of years ago. He runs out of a little backcountry ski shop in neseko I think(sorry but forgot his and the shops name).

If conditions are bad just head north to Kuro Dake or else where. The folks at NOMAD deal with the backcountry all over Hokkaido.

Stealth checked out the website and i would be really interested in getting a local guide. And the prices are really really good. What would be the best waty to get in contact with him. Should i also book in advance.

p.s does he speak any english???

Stealth couldn't send a private message as the forum wouldn't let me, checked out the website and i would be really interested in getting a local guide/ this guy sounds good. And the prices are really really good. What would be the best waty to get in contact with him. Should i also book in advance.

p.s does he speak any english???

Quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
Hi jimmyk
He's a local working independently so that's why his prices are so competitive.
I've sent you a pm with more info. Strange how you couldn't send me one.
think the forum moderators have done that to avoid spammers. Have to write X posts before PM function becomes active.

Does he have anything to do with you/NPC?
  • 3 weeks later...

IM...the increase in the number of guides is probably related to the demand.

Nao (Niseko Powder Guide) has been guiding for 10 years. NOMAD, NOASC and NAC have also been running for quite some time too...not sure when they started but I think they all existed 5 years ago.

The only place you can die is if you go off the wrong side of the peak. If you are booking through a travel agency then it is most likely a tour company so you will have a guide whom will take you out one day and show you the areas where everybody races to at 8:30. Just hit the peak twice a day and you will find some nice turns.

Thought I might add a pic from Niseko last season-

Copy-of-161.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by nikei:
The only place you can die is if you go off the wrong side of the peak.
Just hit the peak twice a day and you will find some nice turns.
It's this attitude that sends inexperienced people into the BC
It's a backcountry run and its at the perfect angle to slide

If you can't die why bother wearing a beacon or carrying a probe and shovel

I am just stating that most of Niseko is quite flat and there aren't may chances of avalanches unless you venture on the other side of the peak.

I am assuming he is going to be showed the backcountry with a guide. I am just saying you don't need a guide to find powder in Niseko. If you are not confident riding powder without a guide then maybe stick to the groomed runs or go on a tour.

http://nsidc.org/snow/avalanche/

Quote:
Most avalanches occur on slopes between 30 and 45 degrees, but can occur on any slope angles given the right conditions. Very wet snow will be well lubricated with water, meaning it might avalanche on a slope of only 10 to 25 degrees. Very dry or granular snow will most likely avalanche on a slope close to the 22 degree angle of repose. Compacted, well-bonded layers create a snowpack that can cling to steeper slopes until a weak layer is created.
Is there any way you can shrink down your picture?

It makes this topic difficult to read \:\)

The picture was taken within bounderies.

In fact the photo is right next to the King Hooded Triple lift.

So what you might be trying to say then is inside the resort boundaries are unsafe?

If you stick to bc runs which people go to and don't go off wherever without asking a local then he should be safe. If however he ventures out of bounds at will without approaching it the right way then of course he will be unsafe. The Annupuri side of the peak is usually very unstable with weak layers and should be accessed properly by a guide or Mountaineer. The resorts backcountry is 'own risk' which is exactly what it is.

Niseko is one of the only resorts in Japan opening and closing the once closed powder areas,depending on the conditions. Niseko being one of the only resort in Japan to take on the problems of powder guns.

Yes I have completed ARAC at Rogers Pass

By the way how many full seasons have you skied in Niseko?