I think europeans are just lazy, that's why they don't dig snowpits! lol.gif

I think most think they can make informed decisions by using common sense and making topside observations.

How often have you dug a snowpit before slashing a great looking virgin powder field and actually turned around because you thought it was not safe enough?

I have seen on this forum a few times something along the lines: "we dug a snowpit, it looked like there were a couple of weak layers but we decided to go anyway as we thought they would be just stable enough for us to go"...

• 3 weeks later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by Fattwins:
Something I read on biglines talked about the not diggin pits and doing more risk management. It went something like this.

Terrain
snow over time
wind over time
temps over time
amount of people sking the terrain over time
it was funky and only and overview, but according to their facts it was as safe or safer to use this system. Also stated was the fact that some pits had been done but not many like 10% or less of the time.
i have also heard of this being discussed. several friends are currently working on CSG2, Avi2, ACMG and they have told me of lectures in which researchers have dug 60+ pits on the same slope in Roger's Pass and each pit has turned up with different results. and any expert will tell you that a pit does not forecast a slope, it is simply an aid in determining where things are happening within the layers. but still, given the results of the above mentioned tests it makes the effort seem rather random and a gamble at best.