So, who's using really old equipment here?

There's a (previous) colleague of mine back in the UK, he is a really good skier and goes to Switzerland every winter for about 3 weeks and he hasn't bought new equipment for well over 15 years... and doesn't seem interested at all saying his skis are great as they are.

I don't know enough about gear to argue that he should get new modern stuff.... do you think he should?

Except for my gloves and Jacket everything I have is 2006/7 and I will probably sell my boots, bindings to buy new ones next year. I want some lighter boots and bindings.

He should buy new skis, find out what kind of riding he likes and buy appropriate equipment. It makes a hell of a difference. I don't think anybody will argue in favor or 15yo straight planks of wood/fiberglass.

Everything I was using (except my bindings) were 3 years old - Board, Boots, Pants, Jacket, Googgles.

I do buy new stuff, but sometimes you go back to the older stuff (thanks to Nikwax)

I met a J-ripper on a 9 or 10 year old Sims Aaron Vincent board (had cost him 3000yen!) on Saturday too - and he was better than any of us!

This one cat was rocking the 80's one piece ski costume at 47 a few weeks back. Teal Green! The oldest piece of gear I own are my skis from 1996 (Head Cyber w/Tyrolia Bindings). I usually take them out once a year to keep them from feeling neglected.

Quote:
Originally posted by YellowSnow:

He should buy new skis, find out what kind of riding he likes and buy appropriate equipment. It makes a hell of a difference. I don't think anybody will argue in favor or 15yo straight planks of wood/fiberglass.
Hey... a pair of my skis (that I love dearly) are nothing but wood and fiberglass. Even the sidewall is untreated wood. Actually, the sidewall is getting moldy, like the cutting board in your kitchen. I think it's kind of funny that the technology has done a complete circle. It is one of the most sought-after powder skis in the world. The Volkl Gotama. Strangely enough, the newer version of it is simply one more wrap of fiberglass underfoot. You can see it in action in the Hachimantai TR thread that daver posted. They have a side-cut/turning radius equal to that of an old "straight" ski. They're just fatter... and shorter.

Props to the old guy who digs his gear! I wouldn't ride something that narrow, but if he's not a pow-slut, why not? they're probably fast as hell. Heck, my new Jet Fuels are wood/fiberglass and metal. But they are wwaaaaay faster than I can ski.

My gloves were like 20 years old. I got rid of them as they had too many holes and my better half could not get rid of the stench even after washing them. yuk.

My ballaclava is around 30 years old. It's also has a few holes in it but it keeps me toasty warm in the worst of conditions. It looks dorky, but I'll trade looks for comfort anyday.

I've got a bunch of really old skis back home. One of my board is really old as well, but I have not ridden it probably for over 5 years. It's an old Burton with a fin at the bottom. I'll try to dig a couple of pics.

Generally I do not like to change gear all the time as I feel it is a waste of money if your current gear is good to go.

Those old snowboards seemed to have some pretty awkward shapes.

My 15 year old, 200cm, straight volkls finally went into semi-retirement two seasons ago. They're still probably better in powder than my short carving skis though.

I still have the first skis I tried many years ago and actually had a go on them this season. I think they are best left in my memory. Shiny you should try to persuade your friend to try some new gear.

I remember I used to ride those Dynastar Competition 190cm with the read plastic stabilizer at the top \:\)

From time to time the plastic would come off the tip when I would hit jumps a bit too hard. Good old days.

But at least they would not wobble like today's carving skis once you start going over 40-50ish.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not using them but there are some wooden skis in my apartment building. It's like a mini-museum down there with some really old bindings as well. I'm sure they must be worth something.

Talking of which the musuem at Nozawa is worth a visit.