I went to Sugadaira this season. I was happy to go just after recent snowfall and so snow was very good. but it was so cold and I heard one of the coldest resort areas because of position. Course is generally not difficult, but I enjoyed it there was wide space.

Did you go there? I do not hear much talking about it on here.

I like it. The place we have been to twice is central and really relaxed. It sure was cold as well, probably the coldest I have experienced - and I was surprised it was so relatively near to Nagano as well. We'll be back there next season for sure.

Why not explain why you dismiss it as being 'terrible'?

I like it in fact it is one of the places that I like to go to most. It gets nice and cold and the snow is often excellent up there. There are 3 main areas, I like the Taros area best as it offers the most challenge.

I think it is very well suited to beginners and (lower) intermediates and perhaps families and the like. People looking for a big challenge will probably be disappointed.

It's a nice place and as has been said it is not going to satisfy people looking for advanced terrain. For gentler slopes though it is really good - not busy, not many 'experts'.

Not tried the heli-ski they have going on there but heard it has a good reputation.

I'm sure lots of people do just want a heli ride.

I remember a while back my sister twisted her ankle at the top of a mountain and got a heli ride down. She said it was the most fun part of the holiday lol.gif

Quote:
you are just skiing down a groomed run back to the resort
Surely they take you further than the resort courses? Or are you saying that they have a heliski only groomed course further out from the main lift services runs?
  • 2 weeks later...

Sugadaira is very popular resort. Mainly for family type guest I think, but they have many visitor. It is also quite convenient from Nagano and also come from south area. It is not my favorite kind of place, but it does get very cold weather and often very good snow condition also.

It's not that far for me - I can probably get there in an hour, but it's one of those places that I just haven't really taken the time to explore. I might have to take a drive up there before summer and check it out. Meeting cows is always fun.

• 7 months later...

I was up there just the other day and rented some brand new - never used before - skis.

I've seen crappy old places in every resort I have been to. Sounds to me like you are either just unlucky or have something against the place in general.