i think i can bear it out for one more time this season - where would it be?

do you think that Hokkaido would still have some good snow left (usually the season over there last longer than that of Honshu)? ... on the other hand, i dont think i have the budget for a plane trip... *sigh*

if it were here in Honshu - Hakuba? maybe Kagura (havent been there, yet)?

any recommendations?

cheers!!!!

yesterday was the last day at my home hill, Yachiho.

Thank you to AK for coming out, getting hesh, and representing the non-japanese world in the big air contest.

Now that that is over, i will be heading to hakiba myself for one or 2 more weekends before i retire for the season.

what a shredtastic weekend it was..... saturday we hit 47 park and i was stoked on pipe and even more stoked because i succeeded in my challenge to step it up and spin off a bigger kicker (YEEEEEAH!!).... followed by some scary thunder & lightening, then the last party of the season at qtips, forgot to eat, forgot to drink water in between generous G&Ts, then forgot my bag, keitai, jacket, purse.... and my memory -- a classic night out i'm sure you'll agree lol. had a monster hangover on sunday, but was determined to ski NO MATTER WHAT, because it was the last day of my valley season pass..... so it HAD to be happo, and i HAD to take the pontoons, and i managed to stumble onto the gondola, possibly still quite wasted at 3pm. thanks to taka, jon, takumi, fuji san and his mate for a great session up there.... we had it going on, telemarkers, skiers and a boarder, rippin the slush till the lifts shut, an awesome last session up there!!!!!!!

eskimobasecamp_303.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
how did he do in the contest?
he went for a cab 5, but corked out a little and didn't land it.
But it was a tough set-up, he only had one warm-up run, and every other kid was throwing down cab 5s as well.
Some kid was doing backflip-late 180,s and one guy went for the 9 (and didn't make it)

The most impressive thing AK did was make it down in one piece riding the snowsk8!

Well, this is the only picture i took that day. It was obvious that AK and i were the only white dudes there, so we had a clever plan to try to blend in with the rest of the Japanese riders and their unique style.

500x500_5_0_0.jpg

i think AK's ladyfriend took some pics of the actual contest. I was too busy snowsk8ing.

Cherry blossom seasonal represent!

I tried riding in that but it was too hard to breath through!

The comp was fun, but shortened format due to rain the night before.

One inspection jump, then one comp jump was pretty tight. I tried cab5 but didn't land it, but that's better than sticking with a trick you know you can do (like bs 3 double grab) as that doesn't represent any progression.

It was also straight out of the car - 2andhalf hours driving - boots on - drop in, 1st hit - drop in, comp hit - straight out of the box.

(kind of favoured the local riders who had it it before, but i'm not complaining - at least I dropped in switch on it straight out of the car)

OK's snowskate (42 inches long!) was way more scary - flying off down the fall line unable to turn it, wearing jeans and lambswool jumper.... at least i had my gloves on then!

OK landed a one foot air on it off the small kicker in the park on it! and shuv-it off the ride-on box on it too!!! what!?

Quote:
... so it HAD to be happo, and i HAD to take the pontoons, and i managed to stumble onto the gondola, possibly still quite wasted at 3pm.
Hello, long-time lurker, first time poster.
I have a feeling I saw you at Happo - getting the quad up to the virgin cafe in the afternoon, somebody who looked quite a lot like your photo gave me a surprise with a big smile/scowl/hard to read when you're both wearing goggles expression. At the time I saw how huge your skis were and wondered whether you might be related to the SJ gang, but didn't say hello as I'm a shy retiring englishman. I was wearing a white and green jacket that is reasonably distinctive/disgusting depending on who you ask (most people seem to fall into the latter camp \:o ).

Anyway, despite the less-than-ideal conditions I had an awesome day's skiing - tried to be sensible on the moguls for a while but got a bit hot and tired so just kind of zoomed all over the place for a bit. The previous day I had actually been in the park at 47 (first time ever in a park!) due to the inclement weather, but after a while got tired of jumping about 20cm in the air and still managing to fall over, so I just watched everyone else who actually knew what they were doing. Although I've never seen people doing tricks in the flesh, making it hard to compare, some of the people there seemed to be launching massive jumps and I was getting quite excited!

Altogether, another good Hakuba weekend - but maybe the last if we don't get another dump \:\(
 Quote:
Originally posted by WantToSki:
i think i can bear it out for one more time this season - where would it be?

do you think that Hokkaido would still have some good snow left (usually the season over there last longer than that of Honshu)? ... on the other hand, i dont think i have the budget for a plane trip... *sigh*

if it were here in Honshu - Hakuba? maybe Kagura (havent been there, yet)?

any recommendations?

cheers!!!!
Its still top to bottom at 47 and plenty of snow on Happo
Hey EBC Saturday night started out so innocently. I was making you drink water and expensive wine so you wouldn't guzzle. I was up at 7 on Sunday to take some crew to Nagano then up the coast for a feed. Asleep by 8:30 that night We should hook up for Saturday at Happo if you like. 7:30 first Gondola is best for me. Any other crew keen. I'll probably see you at the gym tomorrow anyway.

king - hahahahahahahahaha yeh i saw you, i remember your green & white jacket, my mate and i were on the lift behind you up to the virgin cafe..... and i was making a face at her as she came through the ticket gate (damn slowboarders), but she was just behind you, so it probably looked like i was looking at you lol. you were with some other dude right? glad you had a good day up there. ps - doing moguls is ANYTHING but sensibe, what were you thinking?

kuma - i dont attract boys by scowling at them, i just do things that make them fight amongst each other (this apparently actually happened on saturday, but ummm i dont quite remember) thumbsup.gif

TJ - why on earth are you still getting on 7.30am gondolas???!!!! dont you realise the way ahead is to get so drunk you dont remember anything, wake up with unidentified drunken injuries (i had a sprained ankle, cuts, bruises and blisters).... leisurely pull yourself together by eating a top lunch and then cruise onto the gondie at 3pm.... fashionably late, then ski so out of balance you cant stop laughing. there is NO powder anymore.

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
king - hahahahahahahahaha yeh i saw you, i remember your green & white jacket, my mate and i were on the lift behind you up to the virgin cafe..... and i was making a face at her as she came through the ticket gate (damn slowboarders), but she was just behind you, so it probably looked like i was looking at you lol. you were with some other dude right? glad you had a good day up there. ps - doing moguls is ANYTHING but sensibe, what were you thinking?
Yup, that was us. I'm not really a moguls type normally (probably because I am so incredibly bad at them) but the spotty slopes down below and softer snow (doesn't hurt so much) made it seem like a good idea. But I ended up getting bored and just ripping back and forth across the slope using the bumps for jumps in an irresponsible manner - since the slopes were almost deserted i could only really hurt myself. Even if they're not my favourite things, I can't help but think that I should at least be able to do them. However, every time I went up the Grat quad and looked out to the left on the lush flank of the mountain, I knew that what I really wanted to be doing was climbing up to the top and riding the ridge down. Still, if there's one thing I've learnt from lurking here it's that safety comes first, so I'll have to rein in my enthusiasm until I get the gear and the training. Anyway, looks like there's a little more snow around, so last weekend may not have been the last of the season...