I think it's a bit dangerous for you to have any alcohol while you are in an onsen bath tub.

Could cause a heart-attacking to be a Dozaemon (a drowned corpse) there :p

As many before me have said, I think it's nice to have some after the onsen though?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol.gif I think they might.

About the small towel people seem to put on their head - what's the tradition there? Just to put it somewhere rather than on the side, or any other meaning? The monkeys at Shiga Kogen don't seem to do that (they don't drink beer in the onsen either).

I've asked a few of my colleagues and they pretty all much said there they wouldn't take beer in with them and have never seen - "beer after an onsen". Do the monkeys have a beer after I wonder?

Sitting around naked with a group of hairy arsed Gaijin Aussie Snowboarders in a primative mountain stream drinking beer.

Something about that Neanderthal type behavior that I find strangely comforting.

If the Snow monkeys had cans of Asahi in their hands, would anyone really notice the difference?????

lol.gif

I often take a beer or two into the onsen, some of my Japanese friends take sake and float it in a wooden ice bucket.

Nothing like a beer while your wrecked body is recovering for the nighta onslaught.

confused.gif mmmm...........cheese does go well with beer. It might be a trick to get the right cheese for this situation. What would you suggest for this hot, humid damp environment Cheeseman?

Some classier private onsens serve you beer and sake tub-side (in the onsen!). Cool little munchies too. But those are $$ private $$ too. The proper etiquette for a public onsen is alas, NOT to bring food or drink into the pool area. Tobacco too. But, it's such a minor social rudeness that no one will say anything. Or if they do say something it will be the poker-faced approval blurb. You know - when they tell you it's fine but really mean that it's slightly off.

We are talking about onsens and not sento/ofuro right?

' poker face' is sooo spot on. It's hard to know when you've upset the Japanese. (except for the lifty at Rusutsu who yelled in my face, no doubt he was upset).

Tesselator, I reckon you should change your name to Hellmans Beard or something like that.

Hehehe Satan's bearded spawn... ;\)

The "Tesselator" comes from teaching Computer Graphics at Universities here and around. And my general work in that industry.

--

Here, I designed this system and made all of this video (as an example of what I mean):

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/ShaderIntro_Divx.avi

or in dot movie format:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/ShaderIntro_Quicktime.mov

you might need a codec http://www.techsmith.com/download/codecs.asp for the .mov one though.

Yep, Those are the VT guys...

No no.. not out of business. The platform they were on in the early 90's died tho. The Amiga from Commodore. But they quickly recovered with a PeeCee equivalent. And now the newest product in that line are the TriCaster, TriCaster Pro, and the best of all is SpeedEdit which is the video editor section of the PeeCee Toaster broken out and doing HD video or really any size you want. It's software only but it screeeeems as an editor. I don't think there's anything else out there that approaches it's speed. Seriously nice software and pretty cheep too!

And then of course they have always had LightWave3D which has maintained the #3 or #4 position in the CG industry for like, ever. It's competition is Maya (now owned by the evil AutoDesk), XSI, and 3DStudio Max (also from the evil one), with newcomer MAXON jostling for a position with it's Cinema4D. Not discounting of course the l33t app Houdini from SideFX weighing in at $17K

NewTek had a staff change about 3.5 years back now - Maybe that's what you're thinking of - But as long as Tim is running things down there NewTek will stay afloat.

But now we're so far off topic... Ummm, how to get back to Beer in the onsen? I'm lost. Sorry for the hijack... shifty.gif

Kewl, I didn't realize they were still around. Do you go to NAB? I don't think they have onsen in Vegas (I could be wrong - maybe at the Imperial Palace hotel?) but if they did - there would probably be beer, blackjack and Baccarrat in the onsen!

Quote:
Originally posted by SirJibAlot:
Kewl, I didn't realize they were still around. Do you go to NAB? I don't think they have onsen in Vegas (I could be wrong - maybe at the Imperial Palace hotel?) but if they did - there would probably be beer, blackjack and Baccarrat in the onsen!
Nope, never been to a NAB nor a CES. I'd like to some day though. Been to too many shows in Japan.. ug! NewTek has only flown me to the states once and it was just for a week of Business. For sure no onsens... But there was beer. ;\)

NAB... National Association of Broadcasters.

An expo (show) with buttloads and buttloads of TV broadcasting and film making equipment. Items and products range from $50 still digitizers/mice and keyboards etc. to $70,000 video editing decks, $100,000 camera heads and million dollar editing suits, etc. etc. The show is truly huge! The guys from NewTek that do the show tell me there's just no way you could see everything in a week.

CES... Consumer Electronics Show

It's also huge bu I think the average cost of the items there is a lot lower on average than NAB. Everything from phones, to PDAs to you-name-it electronics. No theme specialization like NAB - just anything "electronic".

NewTek attends both shows. The hardware is spotlighted at NAB and the software is spotlighted at CES.