I have to ask this.

Is it cool with the Japanese to take a beer into the onsen?

I've always felt a little apprehensive doing it. I've asked loads of Japanese men if it's OK, they all said "no problem".

Are they just being polite or what.

thoughts?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's perhaps one of those things where it is not not allowed, just no-one does it.

Having said that, I have this image of a bottle of sake floating on a tray in an onsen. Was that an ad or is it actually a tradition?

I've drunk beer in an onsen a few times, in Hokkaido and in Hakuba. Some even provide little wooden planks which float on the water and upon which you can place your can. Not that common, but it does happen. Why else would they place beer vending machines in onsen?

i would see it as okay when you are in a "kashigiri," but with other people (not in your own group)... hhhmmm... havent seen one yet...

well, because even japanese talk about drinking sake while in the rotenburo overlooking the white mountains...

I've drank beer in an onsen loads of times

And I've also seen Japanese people drinking beer in the onsen

Just be respectable about drinking your beer and there shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't bring a 2-4 into the place. Maybe 2 or 3 tall cans is plenty.

Almost all the onsens I went to had beer vending machines in the tatami rooms

No cannonballing...

I've only seen Japanese with beer in an onsen (besides me). I don't do it all the time and if I do I'd have just one. I like a few fresh nama's after coz if I drink in the onsen the water might become yellow eek.gif

I'm not a big beer drinker at all, but there are a few things in life that just don't seem complete without a ice cold big boy in your hand.

1 cooking a BBQ

2 socializing (talking crap )with mates.

3 kicking back in the onsen after a big day on the mountain.

A pile of snow to keep the beer chilled....magic!

(2 and 3 combined, what more is there in life?)

clap.gif

it depends on the onsen(s) rules. If you go to the mominoke in hakuba you can order sake and drink it in the onsen no problem.

As others have said kashikiri (private rental) no problem.

Nozawa onsens are quite strict and no beer policy is always enforced.

You can play the gaijin card with this one most of the time and get away with it \:\) If somebody says something though it might be best to put it away against a wall and drink it later.

Id say Hokkaido and Kyushu onsens are the most relaxed - mainly cuz they still have konyoku baths \:D

What I've learnt.

2 or 3 beers sipped quietly in the corner of an onsen OK unless sign-age indicating otherwise.

If this offends someone (like the onsen operater) play the dumb Gaijin, smile and apologize.

Remove cans when finnished \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:

You can play the gaijin card with this one most of the time and get away with it \:\)
And you complain about being treated differently from Japanese people? :rolleyes:

I think, as was mentioned about Nozawa, it depends on location. I have had beers and seen others drinking on occasion. What has shocked me though, is that I have seen just about every rule concerning onsen etiquette broken by Japanese themselves. So, I wouldn't sweat it. If someone sees you with a beer, they are probably also wondering if it's legit or not OR just thinking that you had a good idea!

My thoughts on this... I don't want to break rules in foreign countries when I visit. If some Japanese dudes are drinking beer in an onsen and it seems ok and I want to I will. If not, no sweat a beer after one is just great. I'm actually quite keen to not do things that may be frowned on just "coz I'm on holiday" when I go on holidays.

Quote:
Is it cool with the Japanese to take a beer into the onsen?
Just asked a few friends here and they said they have never done it. I always thought the vending machine in the entrance was for after the soak.