I havent skied in Japan before. I was thinking of keeping north - Hokkaido - on the basis of being cooler and therefore better snow. Anyone recommend Rusutsu first week in April?

Rusutsu is one of my favourite destinations but going in April is a big gamble. Although Hokkaido is further north that doesn't necessarily equate with better snow conditions because it doesn't have the same elevation as many places in Honshu. Two years ago I skied in Tomamu (in Hokkaido) during April and it dumped so I could ski fresh powder. I was very lucky that time but I've also skied in Hokkaido in April during other years and had to do slush and puddles.

Hey Markie, how long have you been visiting Japan to ski then? Seems you have been quite a lot.

Found that Japanese girl of your dreams yet? ;\)

Locko,

Might be a bit hit or miss this year. The way things have been going, there will probably be a usable snowbase in Rusutsu come April, but I wouldn't count on any significant new snow when you are there. It probably won't be any worse than any other Southwest Hokkaido resort (Niseko for example), and going North (Furano, Sahoro, Tomamu) won't be any better either. Think cranky hard in the morning if there is an overnight freeze and slushy in the midday.

Maybe consider somewhere with other activities (bars, onsen) so if the snow sucks, there are alternative forms of entertainment.