Hi, just a quick introduction, I grew up in Singapore and have never seen nor touched snow before. I've been busy with university entrance exams ever since November, currently living in Tokyo, but will be moving to Kobe sometime in the next 2 weeks. I'd like to go ski/board sometime after then, though I'm not sure if I'll even be able to spare any time for it. I'm shooting at sometime between march 25th to april 6th. I will most probably be going by myself since nobody I know seems the least interested. I would like to stay for around a week if my budget allows, I intend to try out both skis and snowboards, will go over budget if necessary. Supposedly I miss that period, is it still possible to ski later during april/may even though it's already spring, or maybe even during summer?

I've been reading through the forums for the past few days, but there isn't really anything geared towards the total beginner (someone who hasn't even seen snow before). Is there any advice someone can give me?

Is the entire ski wear rentable, from jackets and pants all the way down to the masks and gloves? Or do I have to buy those myself?

Being my first time, is there any particular area recommended?

Sports wise, I can't skate, blade nor ride a skateboard. Neither have I ever gone surfing. I used to race motorcycles though, if that helps. Both my ankles are kind of busted from basketball injuries from young, I'm able to run fine but too much jumping will hurt.

Ah.heng - I lived in Singapore for 6 years - didn't you ever make it over to snowcity? If you are just starting out, you should definately take a lesson. This will help to give you a base from which to improve. I have taken other Singapore collegues of mine out on the slopes in the past and without a lesson - they end up having a less than pleasant (and sometimes terrifying) experience. There are places that can give english language instruction.

Ski wear is rentable from some resorts, that's probably the best thing to do until you decide whether or not this is something you want to pursue further. I don't think goggles are rentable (others correct me if I'm wrong) but you can get a cheap pair for less than 5,000yen.

Probably good to start out at Iwappara in Niigata. The Hakuba crowd could probably recommend a beginner area as well.

Good luck and enjoy!

Honestly, I would wait until next season and build up to that by learning more and building up your excitement. With conditions as they are now you might get the wrong impression of what its all about if you go now. Some will disagree with that, but it's what I'd do in your position.

Welcome wave.gif

It will surely (though make that 'maybe' with the way it is heating up here!) be ok at Kagura in April - they usually open through May - though I wouldn't go there if I was a complete beginner.

I think some places do rent goggles actually SirJib.

We had a thread recently on beginner places in Hakuba and the verdict seemed to be Tsugaike Kogen.

Good luck!

Sir Jibalot - nope, never been there. I had prefered for my 1st experience to be with some real snow. When you say ski wear is rentable, exactly what is rentable?

I'm not really sure what I need to buy. I'm assuming jackets & pants, masks, goggles, gloves.

dumbstick - no way, I don't want to wait any longer. I waited the entire winter away thinking it'd snow but no, not at all. Well only once, for like an hour. I can't wait any longer, will go crazy.

Was reading the journals and c-squared mentioned seeing 4 avalanches in Nozawa. Is it still safe to make the trip there or should I pick another area?

Another journal mentioned that there isn't enough snow in that area left to make the trip worth it. I'm not interested in the onsens or any sightseeing, I just want to ski, I suppose I should search for other areas?

If possible, I'd like to go to an area that's still snowing. I'd like to see what falling snow looks like. Hey, I wouldn't even mind being trapped in a snowstorm \:D

ah.heng, don't worry about avalanches if you are staying on pisted areas - if there's any danger at all, the resorts won't open the section at risk, and this is a very, very small danger on resort pistes. To start off with, you will be staying on the easier slopes near the bottom of the hill anyway, so don't even factor that in.

Keep an eye on the Now reports here and make your mind up in due course based on conditions. For most posters here skiing or boarding is about more than just the snow, it's also about going out afterwards and meeting new people (not to mention onsens) so my advice is try to pick a place like Hakuba where you can find some like minded people for a few drinks after a day on the slopes.

Enjoy

Quote:
Originally posted by ah.heng:
{QB]dumbstick - no way, I don't want to wait any longer. I waited the entire winter away thinking it'd snow but no, not at all. Well only once, for like an hour. I can't wait any longer, will go crazy. [/QB]
I agree with dumbstick. If the snow is not good it will be more difficult to learn (and more painful when you fall!). Better to save your money and have a great season next year.

Hi Mate,

I dont think that there will be much snow in Nagano in April. We are struggling here already. I wouldnt book anything in advance as i dont think you will need to.

I think things will still be open at the end of march but in april if things are open it wont be worth the money or it will only be stuff too advanced for a person just starting out.

Try and get up a bit earlier if you can. The next two weekends should be fine.

oh and all necessary gear is rentable. Dont worry too much aout googles, jacket and pants.

Sunglasses are fine instead of googles as long as its not pelting down with snow.

Any old jacket is fine. Doesnt have to be a flash jacket. Doesnt need to be particulary waterproof.

Waterproof pants. May need these. Should be able to rent them some place. You can get them pretty cheap at department stores. Dont buy plastic or else you will sweat too much.

Gloves: again, dont need to be the flashest gloves out there. You should be able to find something cheap. Its warm up there, you still need them but they dont need to be special snow gloves at this time of year.

You might want to try Tambara in Gunma, they are still saying that they are going to be open for Golden Week, although looking at the weather this year I think that's pushing it a bit, but April should still be ok.

They have a beginners and family course there, however not sure if the lower slopes will have enough snow cover. This I think will be a problem anywhere this year, except for the far nothern areas.

If possible I would recommend this month to be safe, otherwise Hokkaido, they got more than 3 metres of snow on several of the ski resorts there and still snowing.

As a complete beginner, you should definately go for the low down slopes.

Tsunan in Niigata has got a great beginners slope, but you need to get on two lifts and at least have some basic skiing ability to make it up there yourself. I was there a few weeks ago when it was dumping, but I don't think this year there will be enough snow by April.

Another place that usually is good for beginners and tend to get a lot of snow is Tougakushi in Nagano. I haven't been there this year, so not sure about the snow conditions.

It has a nice gentle slope and they offer ski lessons for beginners.

There is alos a nice little minshiku type hotel and bar right next to the resort.

What ever you choose, have fun!