That thread that WantToSki got me thinking about lessons.

Are there any 'standards' - either in Japan or worldwide - for what should be in a ski/snowboard lesson or does each ski/snowboard school just decide what they want to do in the time?

It all seems so hit and miss.

I have never actually taken a lesson I learnt by just going out with friends and having fun but I have heard other stories ranging from lessons being spectacularly successful to the opposite of that and a total waste of money.

Well, you have to take a course and pass a test to get your teaching liscence. The criteria are a little different for each country. i hear New Zealand is especially strict. When i took it, some of the students were ski instructors, and it was only their 3rd time on a board (but i can't remeber if they passed or not').

Some hills also provide training for the instructors throughout the season. For example Whistler runs morning sessions where the instructors can focus on some particular teaching point or some aspect of their own riding.

Other places will sometimes bring in high-level coaches or pros to teach the instructors.

But beyond that, you are basically at the mercy of that particular instructor's work ethic. The best way is to talk to someone who had a really good experience and find that instructor.

based on what i have experienced from some SAJ-affiliated schools (Hakuba Happo-One, Appi Kogen, Shigakogen Ichinose), some would actually have "theme for the day" in which they'd incorporate in their groups lessons in the different skill levels.

but i would guess that these are all based on the official SAJ Method Book, which is the basis for being either a certified Associate Instructor, or Full Instructor. requirements for even testing on this is that you have at least a "Grade 1/1-Kyu" in the "SAJ Badge Tes"

---

as for the private lessons, Oyuki kigan is probably right... you are at the mercy of that particular instructor, and of course, their teaching skills...

would just to add that i really loved the Appi Kogen Ski School...!!!

i booked for group lessons (which is about 3,200 yen for two hours, the private lesson is at 19,000 yen for two hours)... when it was time for the students to be separated into their levels, i was the only one at mine...

but compared to when i took a group lesson at Coronet Peak, NZ (since there were only two students at our particular group, the instructor only opted for an hour of teaching); the Appi Kogen school instructor tutored me for a FULL two-hours!!

and it was a great combinations - lots of skiing, with lots of feedback. he also gave me some miscellaneous tips for tuning the skis, gloves, etc. etc.

it was so good that i actually sent him a Japanese nengajo (New Year's Greeting card) last January.