rant --> Nozawa Onsen Ski School Instructor literally skied with my money...

Quote:
i started skiing from last season (jan/feb 2006), and now have an SAJ Grade 2 (Ni-Kyu) cert (considered 'advanced' by Japanese ski schools).

why do you ask?
The reason is that at upper levels (intermediate and above), we do not concentrate on drills unless they are necessary to correct a serious problem. While your instructor was probably not the best at conveying the ideas, by giving you mileage (after riding the gondola to get you up to the best ski runs), he was attempting to get you to ski and mimic his moves, hopefully.

I feel like I have spoken on behalf of that particular instructor enough. If you still have issues, I suggest writing a letter in English to the ski school director with a Japanese translation if possible.

Also, another reason I asked your skill level was to offer some instruction and face to face time if you and I would be at the same resort, however, after coming back from Niseko yesterday, I think my season is pretty much over.

SAJ and SIA badge tests focus on certain movements and most of us foreign ski instructors could not pass the tests without having some serious analysis and coaching.

BTW, lessons in Japan are very inexpensive compared to the USA and Europe. Typically private lessons run about $100 to $150 per hour, plus 10-15% tip.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often want to tip in Japan, especially if a taxi driver is especially helpful.

But I don't think I would be very welcome in America, as a tip is recognition of good service, unless I am getting it, I am not going to fork it over. Though I am easy to please.

Also my egalitarian side says if McDonald workers are not getting a tip, why should a normal restaurant worker doing a less than average job be entitled to one.

• 1 month later...
 Quote:
lessons in Japan are very inexpensive compared to the USA and Europe. Typically private lessons run about $100 to $150 per hour, plus 10-15% tip.

$150 is around 17,000 yen right?
I think many private (not group) lesson at many Japanese resort is around 20,000 yen for 2 hours so yes that is more. Are there set standard and rule for what is included in US/Europe resort?

I paid 14,000 for the pair of us at Niseko a few years back. It was money very well spent. We still keep in touch with the instructor. Cool guy who used to be a banker, now travels the world instructing. Last season he was at Aspen.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
I waont take less than 20000 for a day of instructing. anythign less isnt worth my time.

seems pretty good to me after paying European prices.

I'll be sure to try and book you in Fattwins next Xmas \:D
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to add my experiences - only good ones at Nozawa. I had 2 lessons and was very happy with them. There's something about Nozawa, I find it to be a very friendly and agreeable place all round.

Sorry to hear about your experience.