I just found out I can take a full week off in mid March, total bonus!

So I'm now wo ndering where to go and what to do. What do you think folks? Toying with the idea of taking a trip to Hokkaidough..

"YOU CAN GO TO HELL!!!"

:p just joking

From the way the weather goes this year, I recon Hokkaido would be your pest option for mid March. If you can take a full week of maybe the big H in Nagano or the big K in Niigata would be also good. Since they are the only places close to Tokyo and also all the school trips start in March, expect them to be packed with crowds in the weekends. If memory serves, if you book a month in advance (which would be now for you), you can find airplane tickets starting from 10000 yen to Shinchitose airport.

Last I saw Whistler had 220cm bott 260cm upper. But as is often the case it got pounded with rain due to the oceanic climate. Many resorts have more than 300cm upper in Japan and even more if you hike up. This year was great early on in western Canada, but now is kind of so so everywhere it seems, I wouldn't bother with the travel time and stay in Japan unless you really need a fix of inbound gnarlies. Given that we are hovering in & out of freezing, the further up north the better, so Hdough may be the right choice.

you cant really judge whis by the web site or snow report or what some friend said...we have mid mountain and the apline..95% of the time if it's raining mid mtn - the alpine is firing...

i was up 2 days ago and it was good, not great but fresh snow was fun mid mountain. alpine closed do to wind ... which means when it opens its gonna be good cause 10-15 of windblown is like 20-25 here..

anyway i guess Im just saying never trust the snow report here(or anywhere)... the only way to tell if it is good is to be there.

even if the peak is one milky cloud you wont know untill your in that milk cloud.

Whistler is classic for looking like shit but riding like creamy dream!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back up in Niseko and it's a sad story. It's not as bad as Hakuba as it's still cold, but we need a decent amount of fresh snow.

From another thread I read today, things are coming right in North America - so that might be the go if you've got the dosh!

Thats too bad to hear.

What a poor season it has been.

I'm done for the season I think with a maginificent, well, I'm not going to say. Very small number.

Oh well, next one will be GOOD.