Well, hold on to your hats, 'cos I just happened to be reading about Kamoshika this morning....

It's 'Serow' in English but that isn't much help as they only live in Japan, Taiwan and parts of India, China and S.E.Asia.

They are closely related to another animal nobody has heard of called a Goral.

They are cloven hoofed mammals, of the family Bovidae (cows, sheep, giraffes, goats..) sub-family Caprinae - 'goat antelopes', and genus Nemorhaedus.

Their sub-family name is probably their best description, although they are considerably less fleet of foot than most antelopes or mountain goats.

They feed morning and evening and tend to rest from the sun or shelter from the snow during the middle of the day.

They are fluffy! (That's a scientific term too) Especially their tails.

In Japanese they seem to be classed as a kind of deer 'shika' but in latin taxonomy deer are a different family, Cervidae, but both of these families are part of the very broad order of Artiodactyla - 'even-toed ungulates' ie. animals that walk on their toes, on hooves of some kind.

Well, wasn't that fun.

I like them too. They are cute. I've never seen a young one though, maybe you have to go up in the summer and look to see that.

I always consider it auspicious when i see animals (especially cute ones), or animal tracks in the snow, when out snowboarding.

But then again I am a bit of a hippy.

I thought it was a Kagi. I have one living near the hills where I run in the summer. They're dumb. Kind of freaky how I can run up on him and he won't budge. I have to charge and scream to get him to move.

I'm sorry, yagi, mountain goat.

But probably not as fun to hunt as this, which stood 5 meters on its hind legs. The largest in the world, currently on exhibit at the anchorage airport. (sadly, not me in the photo.)

edit; no image afterall. The link just goes to my inbox, sorry.

\:D What else would I be?

We don't tend to like snow, but do venture into snowy areas from time to time. It's our feet, you see. We suck at walking on the snow, cos of our hooves. (actually, kinda like me in Hakuba over new years on our hike up Norikura - I didn't have snow shoes so had to boot pack it! lol.gif )

I saw an inoshishi last season somewhere in Yuzawa at a ski resort (not on the slopes just at the entrance). The guys there said he was lost and most of them usually trek back to Gunma for the less harsh winters.