Exciting things, so deserve another question. You know the small round thing at the bottom of the pole. (Does it have a name?) Some are really small, some are really big. What difference does the size (and design) of that make if anything other than it just looks different?

Thanks!

we established on another thread earlier this year (or was it late last year?) that the poles are actually called poof sticks. ;\) As to what the "baskets" mean for resistance, well I'll leave that for someone else to answer...

They can be useful when not skiing down courses though. Like getting extra leverage when skating past boarders on flat connecting trails, blocking branches in your face when doing tree runs, etc. The rule of thumb was something like less than 2/3 your height, but may depend on use..

Buy a snowboard or snowblades instead.

Or you could use a Unipole.

Joking aside, when I was a beginner skier I tore my thumb from its socket, I have fallen so many times and wrecked rental poles I have to hide it when giving them back to the shop.

For a beginner I would say learn to ski without poles, if there is a need for them i.e. racing then shell out 2 man for a carbon fiber pair. Many ski schools with have you holding them with both hands outstretched to learning how to shift your weight to turn.

Read wikipedia for a good laugh about what a skipole is.

No skiing is pretty cool especially extreme skiing. I only took up snowboarding this year, and last year I was on snowblades. But if I was going back to skiing I wouldn't carry them.

Last year a friend and I made a documentary on the effects of "alcohol on one's ability to ski". We'll have to make another film this year. Perhaps a short public service announcement from the "International Society for the Preservation of Ski Poles". Ski poles kick ass. So many uses... Functional and fasionable... On or off the slopes...

Seriously.