Unless you are there for some other reason and want to hit a mountain - I would save your money and hit something a bit better. The facilities out there are not very good and if you hurt yourself - local area Chinese doctors...hmmmmmm....

With that said - I read an article earlier this year that there is a foreigner at one of the mountains who is designing and building terrain parks to try and elevate things in China. His biggest complaint was the lack of facilties and lack of maintainance of the mountain (no avie control, little grooming, etc).

I was in China last May and tried to get to the Changbaishan ski area but the lifts closed a few days before I arrived. It was hard to get information.

There is some info here:

http://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/ski/changbaishan.htm

Do be careful about being in captivity during your stay should you try free style.

There is a place in this area where if you look behind you on the chairlift, your view is of North Korea...

My friend in Beijing went skiing there, this is his report.

Quote:
Did go to a couple places here but its VERY small and all man made snow, also very dangerous as there are a lot of collisions.

This is how they make man made snow. Snowchina.com

;\)

Quote:
China frequently uses aircraft, artillery and rocket launchers to chemically 'seed' clouds and produce artificial rain for the easing of drought and pollution as well as to put out forest fires.
That can't be good for the environment \:\(

Does depleted uranium mutate ice crystals? ;\)

... I hope they've warned Kim Jong Il (or is it Jong Kim Il? Whatever.) - don't reckon the NK's will believe that a high altitude missile explosion is for passive recreation!