Another 20cm overnight, so duty called. I was on the quad when it opened, and spent all morning cutting fresh tracks through 10-20cm of powder. Spiffing.

It's gratifying to feel that I'm skiing better now than at any time since I learned, over 30 years ago. Partly its the regular practice, but when the snow is this good, I can really trust the ski and be confident in the powder.

The downside is I don't have the fitness or strength to handle really difficult or steep terrain any more. But so what, I'm still having fun.

I wonder if I should look out for something a little fatter than my carvers?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a word of warning - change is bad!! Well it can be. I got some new gear this season and I have spend most of my time actually back with the older as I prefer it. It would be great to try things out before you buy to make sure they are suited to you and the way you ride.

I suppose thats what demo events are for \:\)

Hey soub. if you are considering a wider ski for pow, I would recommend it after seeing the specs you displayed. the good news is, you don't have to replace your carvers. If you get a pow ski, it will just be a supplement. You'll greatly appreciate having a new-snow ski and an old-snow ski. Of course, then you'll have to choose one each day you go out. (although it should be obvious each day.)

there are maybe 50 options available to you today. but a starting point would be around a 100 mm waisted atomic, being as you seem to like atomic already. The sugar daddy is quite popular amongst atomic men. http://www.untracked.com/p1221c2b43-07_atomic_sugar_daddy_freeride_powder_skis.html

Nagoid has a good point about demoing. Although, here in Japan, pow skis aren't readily available for demo. Also, the link above ain't the cheapest in the world. I just wanted to show you an option. There really are very solid and comparable skis out there for a couple hundred bucks that would change your pow experience for the better. Ask daver, his pow skis are maybe 6 years old and just as solid as any thing on store shelves today. (they're wooden volkls, buy wood and they'll last forever; atomic, dynastar, volkl, K2 all make solid wooden skis- some livelier than others.)

Thanks samurai and nagoid.

I'm not a brand person, per se. I have Atomics, because I got a deal on them and that's what they sold me. I've no idea whether they are good, bad or indifferent. They are my first skis, and much better than any rental gear I had previously.

Something inexpensive which does the job is fine. I'm never going BC, so it's a ski for groomers + in-bounds powder.

finding the magical ONE ski that is enjoyable to ride on groomers and pow can be difficult. If you like your C9 on groomers, I would recommend picking up a fat ski that is left-over on a store shelf somewhere. (or ebay)

If you want a versatile ski to actually replace your C9, yet be fun in softer snow, I would recommend a mid-fat; Volkl Mantra, Nordica Afterburner, a k2 apache.

many mid fats really have to be skied hard though to make groomers fun. The Volkl Mantra has been getting rave reviews for the past few seasons about its versatility. I think you may want to have a look.

also check out epicski.com for forums and help finding a ski. Those guys really know their stuff and have been advising people in your situation on ski purchases for many years. you would probably find value in chatting them up a bit. I'm a pretty biased guy. I love wooden skis. I'm happy to help, but there are another million opinions out there.

Thanks for that. I'll give it some thought and start sniffing around the auctions. Really, I want a powder optimised ski that's going to be easy on me. I'm not particularly aggressive so I don't want something that needs a lot of speed to work on groomers.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
Thanks for that. I'll give it some thought and start sniffing around the auctions. Really, I want a powder optimised ski that's going to be easy on me. I'm not particularly aggressive so I don't want something that needs a lot of speed to work on groomers.
check out salomon's new "X-wing" line. I (admittedly) haven't skied them but KNOW they will be super user friendly.
Gun Lab. X-Wing sandstorm. ak rocket lab. Hurricane. They are starting to use wood themselves. They're famous for foam/cap, turny skis, but have combined some newer wood constructions that may deliver some durability. They're generally pretty light too. Nonetheless- your post popped these skis into my head, but don't forget about the Mantra.

http://www.untracked.com/c2pg17-skis_ski_packages.html#bid-39

wood vs foam. Either an old-school bias sticking around to today, or worthy of debate.

There are heaps of really nice skis out there that aren't wood. Wood usually ends up being very damp and stable. Also very durable. Most of my foam skis from the past ended up breaking, wehre as most of my wooden skis over the years tend to stick it out a bit longer. Durability and longevity are my excuses for liking wood, as well as the damp feel. Rossi and salomon, both famous for metal/foam skis, are famous for legit reasons- people love them. If you haven't developed a bias, I wouldn't fret it. The mantra, you mentioned is a bit expensive, all of this year's and maybe even still some of last year's will be pricey.

Anyway, Salomon's earlier Pocket Rocket (blue fat twin) is still lingering for used options, so don't forget about skis from 3 seasons ago.

Sorry to read that. I've been out again today. A late start meant a midday arrival, but despite the tracks there was still plenty of fresh snow to be found. Conditions were fantastic, again.

I'm still rubbish in powder, but it was great to get the feet together, the weight centred between the skis and enjoy that 3-dimensional feeling. My carvers work in the powder because they're pretty broad at the front, but I have to keep my weight too far back to be comfortable. The sweet spot where everything is balanced is very small, and hard to stay in. I'm still all over the place when I hit some chop too. I guess that's where a softer, well damped ski starts to work.

The weather has changed. It's still windy with showers and flurries of snow, but the wind has backed to the west from NW, and it's several degrees warmer today.

Sorry about that Shiny. Just think, you didn't miss a season that will go down as "classic". \:\)

I'm not that good in powder, I do enjoy it though. I just have to not get too carried away.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. We had about 5cm in a couple of hours. It's all gone now, but it did look nice. I got pretty well coated on my little trek to put the rubbish out this morning.

It's definitely spring, but I was outside gardening all day yesterday. The NW wind was bitter.