• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's grim in Western Japan. The radio station was giving away tickets to hyperbowl in Hyogo so my wife wrote an inspired but light-hearted email about her displaced Canadian husband in Tokushima. The email was read on-air and they sent us a couple of lift passes. We were going to go this coming weekend but the resort closed for the season. Arg! What month are we in?! Neighbouring Hachikita (my favourite place nearby, by far) is barely hanging on, with a reported base of 45cm.

Yessiree.

This is looking west across the Yamagata velley, with Gassan the whaleback above the boarder's head.

soubriquet_134.jpg

This is looking up a green run, which is packed with jumps, rails, boxes etc. A bit overexposed.

soubriquet_135.jpg

This is the view from my office. Funagata yama is the snow covered ridge to the left of centre, and Jangle Jungle is out of sight just to the right of it.

soubriquet_136.jpg

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
love the bluebird skies but try not to over expose em next time ;\)
Hey punk, wash your mouth out lol.gif

Three years in Yamagata, and it's the first time I've had a problem. We don't get many of these days. Normally, it's snowing.

Next time I'm out I'll take a nice photo of good snow at the bottom.

Yamagata doesn't have the biggest or the best or the sexiest ski jos, but we have snow.

Just back from a full morning session at Jangle Jungle. Snow cover is still complete, and apart from a few crusty patches, the snow was excellent.

The light was a bit flat when I took this but then the clouds broke up and I spent most of the morning in sunshine.

soubriquet_141.jpg

HAAA yeh just kinda sucks that it's over and it never really got started. I miss riding powder, but ummm i also missed feeling like it was actually winter this year, you walk outside and it's warm, sunny and no snow on the road.... the LOST SEASON.

Plenty more riding, park sessions and spring touring to do, just would have been nice to get some more pow days this year, it just didn't dump like it usually does. I cleared a significant amount of snow off my car about twice this year. Oh well, at least by next winter i might have a clue how to use my new camera clap.gif

I'm excited about summer plans too though... and not to worried as i don't intend to leave the mountains anytime soon.

The weather all around the world is getting more and more inconsistent and erratic. I think Japan (hakuba) had an off year, but i think global warming isn't helping. And it's making things more and more dangerous in terms of avalanche risk and instability. We have to save winter!!!!!

Agree with you on the winter thing. We were spoiled for the early part of last season because anytime, anywhere the snow was pretty good - too much was initially the problem.

But...Hakuba anytime of year's a good place to be - as you well know. Had a great time canoeing and swimming at Aokiko a couple of summers ago - and Shiroumadake is still on the list of peaks to be conquered.

I have still not given up hope entirely for this season. There's snow in the forecast next week, so hopefully you'll be seeing some more.

It all seems to be going according to the forecast today. The wind has veered from W to NW, and the temperature dropped from 12 to 6. There's a massive dark cloud front rolling across town right now, and it's started to rain.

Looking good thumbsup.gif

Snow let up for a while this evening, and I thought that it was going to turn into another wet fart. I'm just back from a late-night emergency cake run, and had to scrape 10cm off the car. The wind has picked up, so there's plenty left to come.