I was in the area visiting muikabochi and a few others and we took a drive round - beautiful weather, very warm like late March... so much so we didn't really feel like hitting the slopes.

Strange feeling it was.

This was the bottom slope of Iwappara yesterday just thought I'd share:

joshnii_52.jpg

eek.gif

We all need to sit down and concentrate and will some more snow to fall!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mayor of Minamiuonuma announced that the city is making cheap interest loans available to the skijos and hotels in the area to use to get out of their pickly. Numbers down 30-40% on last season, it was in the paper yesterday a colleague pointed it out to me.

Really? I was on Naeba on Sunday and I wasnt bothering taking the dragondola over.

Actually I am going to Hakkoda on my own, none of my friends want to fork over the money or are not confident enough.

I am not a good boarder, but who cares, powder doesn't hurt if you fall at any angle. Am I right?

I haven`t yet, I am still waiting to get somebody to come alone with me.

Is a guided tour really really nessesary? I wont be riding anything over a 20 degree incline so it looks like I will be stuck on just the easiest face.

Hakkoda san is not famous just for its beauties but also for its harsh weather. And although if you fall in powder it won’t hurt no mater what angle you fell on it (probably :p ), if you get caught alone in a white out or an avie it will hurt for sure.

I recon it would be much safer to get a guide and also he will probably be able to show you around to some hidden stashes that you probably wont find just by yourself.

I have the contact info of a guy that was highly recommended to me last year by a friend that hired him for his trip. I can give you his contact info if you like, he is quite cheap too only 3000~4000 per person and max group number 6~7 people.

No worries

Not taking snowshoes - my friend up there says you can rent them if need be. From what my friend tells me. it sounds like there'll be more than enough fresh on the main runs - or not too far off it.

Will let you know how good it is / was when we get back ;\)

if you go OB @ Hakkoda, and are wondering whether you should be getting snowshoes, please get a guide! That place will mess with your head. You think you know where you are and then realize you are on the opposite side of the mountain. I suggest you read some of the journals posted on Hakkoda to emphasize that point. You do not need buddies to hire a guide although it is more fun. You can find info about guiding via older SJ thread. It is also much more affordable than what you would be paying in Haks or Niseko.

• SnowJapan Admin
 Quote:
There's no way that pic was from yesterday- I was just there a couple weeks ago and there wasn't a bare spot to be seen...Can we get a second opionion!?!?
I'm sorry to confirm that photo was taken the day before yesterday - it looked a bit worse than that yesterday. We are in real need of snow, hard to believe it is 1st Feb.
  • SnowJapan Admin

The last few days have been really mild - around 5-7 degrees in early afternoon. It has felt like late March for the last week or so. The bottom slope of Iwappara usually looks like that in maybe late March or early April. It's really hard writing those reports every day when you so much want to say "50cm overnight!!" but can't, for obvious reasons. Check out last years reports from early January as a contrast.

Anyway, fingers crossed for the next few days hopefully we'll get some decent snowfall. Kagura still has a lot and relatively decent conditions but not what it would normally be like early Feb.

• SnowJapan Admin

Right.... it was fairly decent (but not peak season decent) when I was there last Friday, but I suppose the last few days and no new snow haven't done it any favours either. I've never had a winter anywhere near like this since I have been here, sad \:\(

I'm holding out for 50cm tonight though.... ;\)