I will probably be going to Nagano to observe some English lessons and I have a choice of going to Obuse-cho or Suzaka-city. My purpose is to observe and report on Elementary School English lessons and make a positive contribution to English Education in Japan. So which town has the easiest access to powder and big mountains???

I couldn't find Obuse, but after a little more digging I think I've learned that it's is more or less at the base of Shiga. It's all I can do to keep this stupid grin off my face while I'm here at work.

Quote:
Originally posted by ger:
My purpose is to observe and report on Elementary School English lessons and make a positive contribution to English Education in Japan. So which town has the easiest access to powder and big mountains???
lol.gif

You should teach that use of the word "so" to your students.

ger

Obuse 小布施 is located a bit eastern than Nagano city. Just on the way from Nagano city to Shiga-Kogen on the Nagano-dentetsu railway. Suzuka city 鈴鹿市 is located close to Yokkaichi city in Mie prefecture. So, obviously Obuse is closer to some powder.

;\)

Got it Gamera. ;\) I think it was SuzAka City. Actually, my inlaws live in Yokkaichi and I've been to Suzuka city too but I'm not that interested in F1.

I think my contact in Nagano must have heard that I'm missing the snow because Nagano's a big prefecture and Obuse seems pretty much perfect. Only Hakuba Shogakko could be better. I wonder if they have a good English programme...

Oh my bad, SuzAka is the next city of Obuse town.

Yep, Nagano is kinda big. If I drive my car from here to southern part e.g. Iida city, it takes 2 hours or more even if I get in the Chuo express way. If it's by train, probably 4 hours.

eek.gif

I think Obuse is just north of nagano city. Suzaka is about 10 minutes further north. If its the Obuse im thinking about it is just on the outskirts of the nagano city.

Suzaka is about 30 minutes from Nozawa.

Hakuba is a bit of a hike. maybe an hour or two. It might be worth going there but i dont know as i dont bother.

Matt

Watty-Matty :p

I think you misunderstood some. Suzaka is closer to Nagano city than Obuse. But yes, if you were located in Nozawa Onsen, easy to get confused with their location.

I said roughly 1 hour car ride from Obuse to Hakuba because I know the route. Maybe a lot more if people don't know the correct route, easier to get lost.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmm... My trip is coming up. Monday I'm visiting a school and Tuesday I WAS going to go skiing at Nozawa but the weather forecast looks bloody awful. Plus I'd have to pay for at least one night accommodation, lift ticket, etc, thus using up points with my wife. Is it worth it??? HMMMM...... !!!

I am going to Karuizawa for a business trip next week, wanted to schedule it on Friday so that I can go direcly to the mountains after meeting, but it's Monday... no skiing. \:\(

Hey is there a quick way from Karuizawa to the hills? I know you can get to Gunma places like Kusatsu fairly easy, but isn't it a long haul over to Shiga/Nozawa and Hakks and the like?

If you have a car, you can get to Kusatsu, Manza onsen, Yuzawa area about an hour.

If the road from Manzaonsen to Shigakogen is open, it's about 90minutes to Shigakogen from Karuizawa.

Shinkansen from Karuizawa to Nagano is 30 minutes, Nagano to Nozawa onsen 30minutes local train, to Hakuba one hour bus.

Shinkansen to EchigoYuzawa is about 50minutes.