Opens fine for me

"You enter the chute's narrow, flinty mouth in free fall, dropping two stories onto a 55-degree slope. Fail to execute a hard right turn immediately, and you smash into a face of Precambrian rock. Survive, and you then smear speed by executing two nervy turns, exiting down a 45-degree slope as the chute fans out."

\:\)

didn't coombs start this camp before they banned him for always skiing ob? (via exum?) He then moved his steep camp to Valdez to help market his heli-op. Then in '99, Jackson opened their boundaries, yet didn't allow coombs back... if i remember correctly.

Later, in 2001 (?), he sold his operation and returned only as a guide.

some believe, like me, that he sold it due to the prior year's insane avalanche season. Most heli ops in '00 in AK didn't fly much due to severely abnormal avi risks. I asked the owner of Chugach Powder Guides (my avi teacher) for an entry-level position and he instead offered me his operation. He said he wasn't hiring, only selling. All those books you studied in avi class... were proven worthless by the very men who wrote them. (ie, the 30-45 degree rule and the under 1 meter rule) Rules don't exist. Avalanches happen... and holy cow did this get off topic. Gomen ne.

Has anyone here skied Corbet's? Is it a crazy as they make it sound? Is there another way in other than dropping several meters? Is it considered on-piste at JH? I've always wanted to go to JH but I don't like the idea of a long vertical drop onto an extreme steep.

Quote:
Originally posted by ger:
Has anyone here skied Corbet's? Is it a crazy as they make it sound? Is there another way in other than dropping several meters? Is it considered on-piste at JH? I've always wanted to go to JH but I don't like the idea of a long vertical drop onto an extreme steep.
Quite mandatory although I know I once saw a pic of Coombs with his back damn near parallel to his skis riding the top, he prolly did air a bit no matter what though. and Yeah Corbet's is a marked run though it doesn't open till later in the season ofcourse. I don't think it's the steepest run at JH either.

http://www.jacksonhole.com/mtn.gallery.asp?Dir=/Corbets%20Couloir