I think I will take the lock option...I have had a rental board stolen before, from the Chalet ski room in Austria!!! The ^&^&% Frau would not cough up the insurance money, forgot english all of a sudden.

SO methinks for a few bucks the lock might save me some grief \:\)

I was totally stunned about how trusting people were when I arrived here. To start with I thought what a bunch of mugs, however I now really like it - if I catch someone stealing I'll do something about it. I really like the feeling that I can dump my 5 month old skis anywhere for hours and expect them to be there when I get back. It's how I think things should be and I'd like it to stay that way.

It is such a contrast with living in London - leave something behind and it gets nicked within minutes.

It's a good thing about Japan.

Umbrellas get nicked though, keep your eye on that.

Having said that there has been a definite increase in the number of robberies and burglaries in the area I am. Still low compared to other countries but a worrying trend all the same.

Regardless of the country, if you even have the slightest concern about your skis/board getting stolen, common sense would tell me to lock it up...especially when locks are only 1000+ yen and skis are 50,000+.

Everyday Im on the slopes you hear of skis/boards being mistaken :rolleyes: Right, like they just walk off on their own.

Hate to say it, but Niseko these days is probably less safe than other resorts because of the large number of gaijin there who won't understand that people leaving something unlocked is not an open invitation to steal it.

SnowArch - even in Tokyo, shops leave high value stock (bottles of whisky for example...) lying around outside on display on the pavement with no-one looking over them. When people ask why I live in this country, after the girls and the mountains, that point's a close third...

Quote:
I really like the feeling that I can dump my 5 month old skis anywhere for hours and expect them to be there when I get back. It's how I think things should be and I'd like it to stay that way.
That feeling will change the first time you have your gear stolen. It did for me.

Like creek boy said lock = 1000 yen, skis = 50000 yen, its a no brainer really.
 Quote:
Originally posted by skidaisuki:
even in Tokyo, shops leave high value stock (bottles of whisky for example...) lying around outside on display on the pavement with no-one looking over them. When people ask why I live in this country, after the girls and the mountains, that point's a close third...
You alcoholic kleptomaniac lol.gif