I am not embarrassed to say that on numerous occasions I have pushed through the gates to get a free ride. I've also skied with day old lift tickets in my arm band because they were the same colour

I do not think this is any different than buying lift tickets off of people if they leave early which I have also done many times

Motherhucker thumbsup.gif

Way to live the dirtbag life

I feel this is something that I have missed out on. Might have to make some life choices someday

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Some resorts are hanging on by their fingernails, dependant on the cash from the lift ticket sales."

Which Resorts? Chinese ones or Japanese ones?

"So why do you dodgers do it?"

Who are you addressing? Most people here find if offensive that you are calling us, i.e. people in Japan on Japanese Resorts ticket dodgers.

You don't have any evidence to back it up. The only thing that resembles skiing in Guangzhou is when children actually climb up hills of slag and ride down them. I used to do it as a child in sand quarries myself. So what offense are you speaking about?

regardless of all the shit flinging going on here Thursday still hasn't given any concrete reasons for this rant. Mate give a clear example of a person or incident you witnessed or heard discussed on here and then maybe we can actually take your rant seriously. WHY did you get this bee in your bonnet?

Possibly Thursday may be refering to this quote which I read on this forum about a week ago....

"A good trick for skiing the arvo is to stand next to the electronic pass return machine and offer someone returning their pass the 1000 yen deposit. Go ride and then collect your 1000 yen when you return the pass. Free arvo skiing/boarding!"

A member on this forum telling others how to use a loophole in the ticket system to get a free afternoons skiing is something that I dont consider is particularly cool. I see that there are weekly giveaways on Snow Japan of lift passes etc which Im guessing are given free of charge from the resorts. In my view they are helping support this site but a few members here seem happy to admit that they have no problem trying to get a free afternoons or days skiing by buying used tickets which is not helping to return that support. Sure we're not talking about large amounts of money here but it must be enough to some people for them to avoid paying. What Im mostly suprised is the reaction to Thursday comments. I dont know if Ive missed something here but I didnt see anywhere here that Thursday implied that all "people in Japan on Japanese resorts are dodgers". Sure some people try to get away without having to pay for a pass or buy used tickets and I think Thursday was just asking why these people do it when in his opinion he doesnt consider it right. I admit that I think it was a bit of a random topic to start but I dont think Thursdays posts are offensive or stupid unlike some replies from another member. Like I said before, when I was younger I bought used tickets so I could get a free afternoons riding and also used old day tickets the same colour as that days ticket so I didnt have to pay but nowadays Im quite happy to pay for my pass. Some people seem to think theres nothing wrong with buying used passes, but they havent given any reasons on why its right to do it other than the personal financial benefit. If its only about the money then the word "cheap" comes to mind.

Quote:
but I dont think Thursdays posts are offensive
From what I can tell, the offensive things have been edited.

I pay for my tickets unless I have vouchers (thanks SJ last season, not won this season though yet \:\) ). Simple as that.

I kind of agree with Thursday. I can't say about the offensive part because apparently it has been edited, but about what he is denouncing I completely agree. And it is true that ski resorts struggle to pay for the costs. More so in Japan where there are so many ski resorts.

If you are an honest person you pay for your ticket, whether you can cheat or not.

Regardless of whether you are honest or not, if you care about skiing or snowboarding you will want to pay, as you wouldn't want your favourite resort closing down because of bankruptcy.

I agree that it is also the resorts' responsibility to make sure that all loopholes are properly closed, but even if they are not, it doesn't give you the right to use their installations without paying. If you really don't want to pay just hike up.

When people take offense about something that hasn't been directed to them in the first place, it USUALLY means that they are involved.

I felt really sorry for Thursday and how hard people have taken on him. From what I know of him, he isn't a troll.

Well , personally I just wanted to know what sparked his rant. He started off with a vague asertion that gave the impression that he thought that many of us did it. That is probably what many people reacted to CC. I don't do it. I happily pay for my tickets (although I do occasionally grumble at the high price of some places). I agree he got slammed a bit, but he's a big boy and he can take it. It's not the first "discussion" on here he has been involved in, and I know he enjoys it to a degree too. Right Thursday?

Isn't selling your used tickets to others oficially illegal. That makes it as bad as having no ticket at all and just barge through the checking line.

Although everyone seems to be doing this that doesn't make it the 'right' thing. I like the thing that I can resell my daypass to someone else. That makes it easier to go somewhere else for the afternoon or stop early.

I would think it was illegal. I have never done that and none of my friends have either. Anyhow I usually like the mornings best.

Thursday just seems to like a 'fight' as a few other people have been known to.

"STEWPID TALK"

I'd be there... I like this crap. But if there's one place for all the idiots to gather, things would get out of hand quickly. We're easier to control for the good people at SJ if we're dispersed... ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by ger:
"STEWPID TALK"

I'd be there... I like this crap. But if there's one place for all the idiots to gather, things would get out of hand quickly. We're easier to control for the good people at SJ if we're dispersed... ;\)
STEWPID TALK...you referring to Snow in Japan? thread? lol.gif lol.gif
 Quote:
Originally posted by DumbStick:
Is thursday banned?
Thursday is a friend of mine. (really!) And he has just hit a sudden busy spell at work. He will be back posting soon, no worries.
  • 11 months later...

If you live in the area and try to rip off the mountain, you're just dumb. The mountain is your livelihood to some extent. Also, if you get caught or seen by another local, there is a chance you'll lose trust in the community.

For punters like me, skiing in Japan is usually very good value compared to the overpriced rip-off in the Southern Hemisphere. I'm usually happy to pay cause I have the cash. However, I am guilty of all offences mentioned. It usually happens if I'm with others, usually gaijin with a lot of local knowledge.