eh, never an accident before this season, yet last season you had to fork over 300k? confused...

nonetheless, I hope people aren't checking their insurance to validate getting away with crashing into people.

this thread is ridiculous. Terror... please wear a siren.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just realized something, "20 years surfing, never had hit a person."

the right of way works differently. you have to figure that out fast man.

300,000 is small change when you consider you will be tried and convicted of manslaughter if you kill anyone. next time try thinking about spending 2-10 years in prison in exchange for a fast day on the hill.

It was more a general point. I agree (of course) with the universal 'rules of the road' as emphasised many times above. Everyone must. If TT objects to those, then he's wrong.

But he is thinking about it. My point is that a lot of people think they're invincible until they come a cropper. I hit a kid a couple of seasons ago - not deliberately, of course, but it was certainly my fault. Luckily no injuries as a result but I have been very, very careful since especially close to kids.

Just because people behind me should avoid me if they are overtaking doesn't mean I don't check back when necessary (such as coming onto a piste from one side). In short, nobody should assume that everyone knows the rules or will always follow them. Perhaps TT's done us a favour by reminding us about that.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Takayama Tearer:
 Quote:
what? he's purposely not avoiding people. How is that safe? Location: Hong Kong
Hong Kong? I hear there are lots of slopes there. \:\)
Mate, I hope that wasn't a crack about asians, using the word slope...

17 years ago in Serbia I came hooning down a slope with a vid cam in my hands and the poles in my backpack (sticking out each side) and cleaned up a guy watching his kids ski. I didnt stop as I got the distinct impression that he was going to maim or diembowel me. I carry that embarrassing image with me each time I ski and since then have not hit anyone.

I hope it was just a crack at people in HK having no real ski resorts where they are.

TT although plus points for actually thinking out loud on a forum about collisions and how to avoid them, your attitude in your first 2 posts is so way off being anywhere near ok, i'm suprised people have been so polite.

Firstly, yes, someone down hill off you could stop, fall over, turn in random direction, spontaneously explode, whatever.

It doesn't matter.

As has been said numerous times above, as the uphill rider, it is your responsibility not to hit them.

(If you are popping out of trees, or in a piste-merging situation, then the downhill person also has to check, but in general that above rule is true).

The times you have 'crashed out to save others' which you seem to imply is their fault, are all your fault - for not being a good enough rider, mentaly or physically to 1) avoid them without falling over 2) avoid that situation.

No decent rider wants to ride with an out of control selfish intermediate prick.

By posting this thread in the first place, you have suggested that you may not be that - but the content of your first 2 posts would suggest otherwise. Your choice.

You may also bankrupt yourself. The damage you may do to other people's lives may not bother you if you blame the consequences of your actions on idiot beginners doing unexpected things, but as others have said, you could get in a lot of s**T.

I don't want to come accross all saintly - I hit someone for only the second time in 7 years snowboarding on saturday. It wasn't so fast and I didn't crash into their body, but i clipped their skis causing them to fall over, and it was a young teenage boy with his parents.

I was marginally the uphill person, they threw a sharp turn when i didn't anticipate it, and so I was entirely responsible - I had to stop and check he was ok, make him stand and wriggle around to check that everything was ok, rather than just feeling ok lying in the snow, help him get his ski back on, and apologise - all the while knowing that if anything was wrong, it was all my resposibility, not least as the older and better rider.

Strangely his parents (they were Australian) didn't seem to mind at all, said 'accidents happen' and wished me a good day skiing - i was pretty suprised!

All i mean is, if I was riding with a 'get out of my way' attitude, it could have been a lot worse, and would probably happen a lot more often.

It reminded me to leave even more room.

I have to partially disagree with AK, collisions have absolutely nothing to do with riding skill, its all about manners.

I don’t really care what the oyaji was thinking before crashing on me on Sunday afternoon. I didn’t get pissed with him because he crashed on me but because he didn’t apologise.

The fact that my riding skills prevented me from crashing means nothing to me. Had the old fart apologised, next thing I would have been next to him and extend my hand to lift him of the ground.

And since this thread is about TT, I have to say that he is in a good way.

Feeling guilty for what he did is the first step towards correcting the thing in his mentality that everyone here sees as a handicap. (don’t I sound like a psychologist?)

I just want to ask you something, would you honestly prefer in the future to crass again on someone and feel guilty for what you did or to chill out a bit and sacrifice some of your fun so that you don’t diminish the fun of others?

Thankyou tsondaboy for that response. Of course I learnt a lot from that experience, and never want to repeat it. It's a head f*ck experience (as mentioned by another poster) and it does bum out your day. And yeah, I suppose I have to take the blame. Maybe I am just one of those anti social creatures that gets fed up with the amount of traffic and other peoples bad manners.

tsondaboy, how much is an hour on your couch? \:\)

Traffic on the slopes on weekends is something you, me, everyone in this forum will have to live with. Don’t forget that YOU also are part of the traffic, hadn’t you been up there this weekend the more space would have others to ride.

Still it seems that there is hidden virtue in you, your soul wont burn in hell after all. :p

PS: I think you should change your nickname to Tateyama Terrorist anyway, it sounds funnier. \:D

I was in Takayama last week, nice place however on topic

Anyone and everyone below you is your responsability...period.

My kids and I ski a lot faster than most on a slope however we have never hit anyone because we never get close enough to anyone that we cant stop or turn in a slip second. Over time you can tell where the skier below will be going by a shift in their weight, for this reason I never take my eye off people I am passing.

Clearly if you hit someone you were not allowing for the posibilities we all know are there, no different to when you drive really

I had a boarder hit me about 3 years ago and I ended up with 25 stitches in my face and have a 5 cm scar that will never fade. I wasnt going slow or carving across the whole run either, just a di*@^%!# going too fast. The guy kept going. Lucky my mates didnt get him. needless to say what I think about the whole issue.

What is it with people sitting in the middle of the slope???? I take great delight in covering them in wet snow!

I usually stop on the sides of a run if I need to stop - yet people feel the need to come by and ski or board as close to me as possible (is it my devistating good looks?) - if they suddenly lost control, it could be ugly...I don't get why people do this - there is a whole piste to ride - why risk injuring someone?

It's fun to buzz people who are sitting in the middle of the slopes when you're doing nice long fast turns. It's rude too though, so I do my best to resist the temptation. I've never hit anyone in over twenty years of skiing and I don't recall being hit either. Touch wood.

Quote:
yet people feel the need to come by and ski or board as close to me as possible (is it my devistating good looks?)
I find the same thing and it really annoys me. Like driving when people drive up close to you behind, sometimes I go slower on purpose when they do that.

It must be our good looks as you say
 Quote:
I usually stop on the sides of a run if I need to stop - yet people feel the need to come by and ski or board as close to me as possible
between the option of going near you when you are stationary on the side or a couple beginners leafing it down the middle of the slope..

ill go near you every time because i can predict where you will be