Marmot La Meije pack. Anyone know how to use one?

I got one of these great packs, seeing I need to maximise my carry on lugagge (see JAL thread) and also for when I'm skiing but I have no idea how to use it seeing it didn't come with any instructions. I've tried looking on the web and on Marmots website, nothing. wakaranai.gif

Can anyone help? I want to know how to attach skis, etc. TIA! \:\)

I2530.jpg

1) put your skis on it.

2) put it on your back.

3) walk uphill.

4) ski downhill.

Has anyone ever read or even had instructions for a bag?

Gear must me getting complicated these days.

A-Frame

Use the top strap obviously

Slide the tails into the red webbing on the waste belt

Or unclip the lower strap and reverse it to the female end that is empty

And the same on the other side if there is an empty male end

Also looks like you might be able to attach them diagonally using that strap on the very bottom

Marmot always has strange attachments and I have read a few times on other boards of people not knowing how to attach skis. Especially for the "Doug Coombs" style attachment on one of their bags

edit: Dammit!!!!!

Quattro beat me to it

I'd be leary of have my axe down that low. It could twist and stab you in the bum

It does seem that they also meant for them to go in an A frame like Toque said too using the red straps. The red straps seem a bit forward though where the tails may dig in if you were climbing anything steep. I use the DAKINE Poacher where the skis sit diagnal, and I think I prefer that setup to an A frame setup for some reason. Only prob. with my pack is my tails barely fit through the loop on the bottom of the pack, if my skis were any wider or the tails just a touch bigger they wouldn`t fit. That Marmot pack seems to have much more room.

BUT, the weight of the skis is quite a bit farther back if you have a full pack where with the Aframe the weight is closer to the frame of the pack, and your body.... If you had some fat heavy sticks diagnal it may seem to be pulling a bit.

A-frame the weight of the skis will sit directly on the waste belt which would help lighten the load

I almost always carry mine A-frame style but that is only because I have no other choice. It is a good system on all but the steepest snow. Especially when you are wearing a helmet. The A-frame restricts you from looking up

If you do not use the red webbing there is the the rubber covering the grey webbing on the side where your skis would traditionally sit. Try reversing the straps to that empty buckle

Quote:
Originally posted by SerreChe:
That ice-axe is screaming for hemorroids.
Whoooohhh!!! Didn't even notice the axe in there. Where's the shaft? Is there a sleeve for it or something?

Also as I keep looking at that pack it seems the skis are only across one side rather than across the whole pack. I know youv'e had your sticks in there at least walking around the living room or something Powderoo, how's that setup work?
 Quote:
Originally posted by Motherhucker:
 Quote:
Originally posted by SerreChe:
That ice-axe is screaming for hemorroids.
Whoooohhh!!! Didn't even notice the axe in there. Where's the shaft? Is there a sleeve for it or something?

Also as I keep looking at that pack it seems the skis are only across one side rather than across the whole pack. I know youv'e had your sticks in there at least walking around the living room or something Powderoo, how's that setup work?
yeah, busted, I have tried this on at home, with the skis, it's just like the pic shows, diagonal across the back (sort of), but you can also a-frame. As far as the ice axe goes, well just under that toggle right at the bottom is a neoprene sleeve hole, that allows the shaft of the axe to go right up in the front pocket of the bag. the front of the bag is for easy access to all the avy gear, probes, shovel, axe, rope, etc. The rest of the pack is accessed through the back panel, nifty idea.

Sweet pack, but one of the zips is jammed! \:o thumbsdown.gif might have to get some repairs, and it's brand new???