Just thought I would share a story about my weekend boarding up in Nagano.

Was a great weekend, about 10 times as much snow as the last time I went. Perfect blue skies and a good time had by all... apart from a mate of mine who is just learning. I was on the learners slope right at the end of the day on Sunday when I saw him walking down with his board off. He said he had a pretty nasty fall and hit his hit on the snow. So we told him to go back to the hotel, drink some water and have a lie down.

About 30 minutes later I was having a beer in a cafe at the bottom of the slope when another friend back at the hotel called and told me our friend was looking really bad. I finished my beer and went back to the hotel. He was white as a ghost and just after that started spewing. The hotel owners took us in their van to get him checked out. He got a CT scan and was diagnosed with acute subdural haematoma http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subdural_hematoma.

At this stage he was completely out of it, he didn't recognise me and didn't know where he was or what happened. They called an ambulance and rushed him to Matsumoto. I went along for the ride and to help translate, sirens blaring and driving on the wrong side of the road for most of the way. It would have been a great time if it wasn't so scary!

He kind of improved in the ambulance on the way, but just before we got to the hospital he went downhill really quickly, started spewing again and saying his head really hurt. I thought he might be done for at that stage. Once they got him in the hospital they gave him a couple more CT scans and had him under close observation for the next four hours, when they decided he was out of the danger zone. If the haematoma had gotten any bigger he would have needed surgery to relieve the pressure. That night he stayed in ICU (which is 150000yen right there!) and will be in hospital for another 2 weeks probably.

Anyway, it really taught me a lesson. Seeing what happened to my mate is by no means going to put me off snowboarding but has definetly scared me into buying a helmet before I go next time.

Sorry for the long post - don't get me started on Japanese drivers reactions to an ambulances!

Thanks everyone. Actually he is in pretty good shape now, just mild discomfort. If you saw him now you wouldn't believe his injury was that serious. He is stuck by himself in a hospital for up to two weeks in Matsumoto probably going out of his tree with boredom! I picked up a psp for him before I left so hopefully that will ease the pain. He can't be moved until they check him again and the bleeding in his brain has dissipated.

The Japanese drivers... oh my god absolutely infuriating! Basically all the way from Hakuba to the entrance of the expressway was bumper to bumper, so we were driving down the middle and on the wrong side of the road. I am used to cars pulling over and stopping as soon as they think an ambulance or fire engine might be going to pass them. These guys had an ambulance coming right at them, but they would only pull over a little bit and not stop completely. The ambulance had to slow down and stop several times because of drivers with their heads up their arse. The ambulance drivers were going apeshit (in their most polite keigo of course) over the loudspeaker.

then again, the constant police driving around with their lights always flashing pretty much takes the whole shock value out of seeing an actual emergency.

Not that an ambulance is the same as a cop car, but... I always wondered what other lights they flash when there is an emergency in order to tell people to get the f out of the way.

I too have experience riding in an ambulance. I was more shocked at the lack of medical attention. No pupil-dialation test, no vitals, nothing but a bandage on my head wound until I got to the hospital and they gave me a ct. WTF?!

wow... this thread has endless possiblities for venting... Glad your bro is all good.

goodgallon that surprises me. I'm used to seeing people pull over way too early and when it is not really necessary to do so when an ambulance is on the way. Which on reflection is much better than what you described!