JAL international baggage limits for non US travellers

We got bit last trip with our double ski bag. We stuffed all our ski gear and 2 sets of skis into the double bag. It was <32kg meaning they should be able to "handle" it . They pulled the fineprint "its only allowed to have skis in it" card apparently applying to long bits of baggage. Bear in mind that overall for the 2 of us our total allowance was within the allocated amounts, its just that it was distributed mostly in our shared double ski bag.

I was so p**Ssed at the counter..."im sorry sir you will have to remove everything else from the bag"...."well where are we going to put it exactly...we are within the weight allowances, our backpacks are pretty full etc and we are at the checkin counter so its a bit late to give us grief about this now, piece count is within limits and no item is >32kg"

There was no compromise. We decided to repack the backpacks to the max and empty the ski bag and clog the counter as much as possible. Despite clarifying all the fineprint as much as possible before travelling it still didnt help us on the day.

Now -> no more double ski bag packed to the max with soft stuff.

Actually having lugged a double set around a bit, its too much for the subway anyway ;\)

No matter what I do, my ski gear often seems to take up about 15kg alone!

What airlines did you fly phool?

I flew Singapore out of LAX to NRT a couple weeks back, had a snowboard bag packed with a board, boots, bindings, and tons of clothes. Weighed 23.2 kilos at the counter, the girl didn't say a thing. She just asked where my other check in was, which I did not have.

20kg is supposed to be the limit though, with 32 being the max with a charge.

I don't think I've ever flown with luggage 20kg or under. I've never been charged excess. I don't know you'll get hit for anything if you're just a bit over, but of course that could be the day you hit someone picky at the desk. I've even been over 30k (but usually from Aus to Japan , not the other way round).

guys ive travelled a bit over the years. this wasnt about overweight. it was about brisbane baggage handlers being a PITA about fineprint for large bags and what defines sporting equipment.

between us pooling our allowance as youre allowed to do as a couple we were within the limits (qantas club 32kg each) and the actual bag was < the individual piece limit - iirc our backpacks were about 15 each

it was qantas to japan in 2005

Quote:
One time, I walked away, got back in line and went to a different counter where it wasn't a problem.
I have done the same. Highly recommended move. I am always on edge when checking in - because I am always over my limit - and it really does seem to be luck who you get at times.

In preparation for my departure to Hokkaido today, I checked the ANA website - max 15KG for all bags when flying economy class. My boardbag (with the wife's skiis inside) is weighing in at 21kg.

Fortunately, if you are a frequent flyer (star alliance gold with ANA) you get an additional 20kg on top of the 15kg, so i'll be ok. But this is definatley something to watch out for!

Keba, that's good. Normally they are clapped out equipment.

Which goes to say, 5000 a day and you hire for 10 days means 50,000. I got my Outlaws with IBX mod12 bindings for 67,000. 1 hire gives me a set of skis. Surely carrying them is worth it.

The basic rule for baggage weight is 20kg's combined weight for all your luggage pieces in the east and south pacific while the West gets 23kg's each for two pieces (the 32kg has been reduced \:\( ). A sports equipment bag is now universally considered to be part of your allowance.

I'm in an interesting situation where I'm going London - Japan - New Zealand - London via LA. If I do the cheap thing and book all the flights separately I get 20kg's to NZ and 2 x 23kgs on the way back. In the end I bought a Star Alliance Around the World ticket and because part of my journey is through North America I get the 2 x 23kgs for ALL of my journey, including my internal flights within Japan. Very bizarre

I too am a travel agent and although using Qantas to Tokyo, I'm heading to Niseko on Saturday with JL. After reading this thread I called JL to find out what the domestic weight restrictions were and they said that you get 20 kg for free and 3 kg allowance for sporting equipment so a total of 23kg. After 23 kg it is 33AUD (3000yen) per kg but like other have been saying, when it's cold wear your jacket and anything else that may bring down your weight and always use the full 10kg for hand luggage.

I will take convenience over cost any day. I bought Elan 666's, which are wicked skis in Oz, but not suited to deep powder, and carrying them around when we're lugging a baby as well... I'll rent this time, and cop the expense on the CC when I get home.

Quote:
Originally posted by keba:
and carrying them around when we're lugging a baby as well...
try lugggin 5 surboards, 2 bodyboards and 2 kids and the shiat that goes with it, then you'll think a set or 2 of ski's are a piece of piss!

"A sports equipment bag is now universally considered to be part of your allowance."

(I may have misunderstood this but...) If I don't have one, can I have the same weight in something else allowed?

Next time we might take skis, but this is our first OS trip with him, and we really want to keep it simple. And what's more, because he's flying free, his baggage allowance is only 10kg, and he needs more stuff than we do!

Klingon, you used to be able to take sports equipment free on some airlines in addition to your "normal" allowance. This has pretty much gone. Your sports equipment must now fit within what ever limit applies to your flight. Cattle class in the east is the 20kgs for all pieces whereas the west gets two pieces at 23kg. Those with lots of airpoints or money for business class usually get a bigger allowance.

Now for a real weird one - given that your sports equipment is no longer treated separately from your other baggage, why do they insist that your ski/snowboard bag only has ski/board, boots and poles in it? Bizarre. If I get challenged I'll tell them I just like long bags and there are only clothes in there...

I never understand the baggage rules and just hope for the best when I turn up all heavy with suitcase, small case and bag. I'm always quite a lot over the 20kg, but always seem to get away with it.

Quote:
If I get challenged I'll tell them I just like long bags and there are only clothes in there...
lol.gif