how unusual is this weather pattern for nagano?

Anyone got memories of Nagano having so little snow this late before? Is this common (eg every few years), is this totally unheard of?

Have there been seasons where December was a washout but later made up for it?

It seems every time I try to chase powder something goes pear shaped wakaranai.gif

I can remember getting first turns at 47 in November ( 23rd long weekend) back in 98 & 99 I think. Usually after that in December heats up abit and wasn't anything special till after new year.

In dec 99 did Niseko for 6 days over Xmas, came back to nagoya for new years and it was pretty hot till the 2nd week of Jan (I remember this because I went surfing)

if it makes you guys feel any better, the pacific north-west has been dismal so far. I was at Blackcomb/Whistler this week, and while it felt great to get my first days under my belt, the snow was just not there...very early season coverage.

My local seattle based mtns have not even opened yet! (except Baker)

Quote:
Originally posted by danz:
if it makes you guys feel any better, the pacific north-west has been dismal so far. I was at Blackcomb/Whistler this week, and while it felt great to get my first days under my belt, the snow was just not there...very early season coverage.

My local seattle based mtns have not even opened yet! (except Baker)
Ive got friends (beginners/low intermediates) there at the moment. They I hope wont know the difference ;\) I did however warn them that it can be sketchy at xmas and they should go later but "its cheaper" and "our friends always go then" ...

dont they know its about good snow ;\)