This is our first trip to Honshu and we have about 14 hours to get from Hakuba to Narita. That means we have about 6-8 hours to kill.

Where would be the best place? I have wifey in tow so shopping would be manditory sadglass.gif We don't much like the sound of concrete Tokyo , plus I've seen a bit of it already. Temples, gardens, anything with a bit of culture attached would be cool.

Any suggestions??

From Hakuba station, catch the train to Matsumoto. Besides doing some shopping there, you can check out the Matsumoto Castle. That's really worth seeing. When you're finished in Matsumoto, you can take the train to Shinjuku and get on the Narita express there for the airport.

The temple in Narita is actually worth a visit. Its the third biggest in Japan and has a really cool Japanese style park at the back of it with waterfall and little lake. Lots going on at the moment with the new years period really busy, (despite tourists making it an absolute pain in the ass to get around town for those of us who live here!!) If your other half really must do shopping there is a big mall just near by too.

Cheers guys, I knew I would get the good oil here.

The Narita Temples are impressive. My wife hasn't seen them yet. Would Matsumoto Castle be on par?

I think I'll just tell Mrs Mantas that there is no good place to shop anywhere in Japan and take it from there.

Really easy to get to. Its the actual Narita town stop (on either Keisei or JR which are a couple of hundred meters apart), just get off there and you can stroll down the main road. Its a really old kind of Japan feel and at he bottom is Shinshoji Temple. This year is its 1020 year anniversasry or something. There are actually "branches" of Narita San all over Japan, I was in Okinawa and I saw a sign with the ??? there too, also a big advert for one in Osaka`s Umeda station. Narita is actually a pretty nice old town, but most people only think if it in terms of the airport.