Hi, this is my first Snow Japan post but I've been checking out the site for over a year and will be heading to Japan for our 3rd ski trip in Feb. We're going to Shigakogen again, went last January, loved the skiing but had trouble finding places to go for dinner. Previous trip we had been to Niesko and could always walk to a wide variety of places to eat.

We're staying at Chalet Shiga again in Ichinose. Last year we ended up eating a couple of doors away at a really cool Izakaya most nights because we couldn't find anywhere else (and they had deep fried cheese, mmm...). Any one got any suggestions??

It seems there are almost no places outside of hotels there that do that.

There's an informal bar at Villa Alpen in Sun Valley that often has lots of foreigners around (so I hear. We have been communicating with the "Captain" that owns the place, very friendly, as well as a few other people). You can find info on it in the places to stay link at the top of this page.

Places to eat in Shiga Kogen basically equals restaurants in hotels. The place where there is the most activity is the Mammoth/Ichinose area of the resort.

Great place, but lacking on entertainment off the slopes.

I went once there and it was just totally dead at night. That wasn't a problem though, I was there with friends for the snowboarding. We had some onsen, had a good meal in the hotel and there was like a small izakaya place in the hotel too. My favorite place I think.

There is a pretty cool Nepal restaurant just next to Hotel Shiga Kogen (think that is what its called!) At the bottom of Ichinose in the little town area. The Naan bread there is awsome and someimes a live band at night there. Reccomend it.

• 1 month later...

Well we went and were well fed! Didn't find anything new but the Isakaya in Ichinose lived up to it's reputation (although our menu choices were a bit random this year with no Japanese speaker with us!), Nepalese Restaurant was awesome (went there twice), also little telemark bar (near Nepalese place) served good Japanese and Western food (weren't open for dinner last year) + had a couple of awesome meals at our lodge (Chalet Shiga, Santo San speaks good English, highly reccomended as an accom option for Shiga)! All coped with us arriving without booking - 10 to 14 Aussies with no Japanese language...

Despite the bad season, Japan didn't dissappoint with good snow at Shiga and awesome snow at Nozawa (our first time there) - trip was 2-14 Feb.

Back Bowl Cafe - 1F of Villa Ichinose. Run by a friendly bunch of telemarkers. Prices reflect the location but they do a mean fondue and have a variety of drinks...

The Nepalese curry place - name 'Kamoshika' - virtually next door, is good for lunch (1500 yen viking / all you can eat curry), have never been there at night.

Shiga Grand Hotel - everything else OK but the food was minimal in volume and really not very exciting. Don't recommend it