1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I think those fluro green gloves might be from the hardware store - some great spring gloves in there for less than 1000 yen!

Either that or Airblaster - so they'll be a lot worse than from the hardwarestore but much more expensive!

I thought mitts were the ONLY way to go. Warmer, more water proof, easier to remove linings or turn inside out for drying/cleaning. From what you guys have said, it seems like one's various 'persuasions' enter into the equation so I should assert that despite my occasionally 'flowery' style of writing and frequent use of 'graemlins', I'm a straight Canadian male skier who proudly wears mitts. cool.gif thumbsup.gif

Mitts are much more masculine.

Unless they are knitted and you put them on a string through your jacket.

Actually knitted dachstein mitts are pretty manly too.

And wrist loops don't count as mitten-strings.

Not much in the way of good mitt advice out there - There are so many gloves made, if a company actually made good ones they'd clean up.

Quote:
Originally posted by AK 77:

I liked the feel of the Black Diamond Patrol Mitt (that was also on SAC the other day) but the goatskin palm feels a bit too soft for snowboarding wear and tear, so I'm still looking...

The patrol mit is meant for work around the resort. Like setting off bombs, fixing people and whatever else patrollers do. Should be ok for snowboard use I think

edit: I just went and looked at them. I'd buy them for sure. I want a mitt...

I normally use gloves. I scored a pair of Killy gloves about 15 years ago and they are still superb. I'm stressing now because my hands are XXL, and I'm buggered if I can find anything that remotely fits.

For foul weather I add a pair of Barbour over mitts. They are a waxed cotton shell, and really improve the performance of gloves. I used to ride motorbikes through Norfolk winters. I know about cold hands.

I switched to mitts for one season - they were warmer, but not as waterproof as snowboarders always sit and stand (putting the gloves on the snow). I switched to a pair of Burton gauntlet gloves that only lasted two seasons! (just noticed an tear in the lining on my last outing). I'm thinking about finding a good pair of mitts with rubber palms and solid waterproofing. Any recommendations?

Quote:
Originally posted by Toque:
 Quote:

I liked the feel of the Black Diamond Patrol Mitt (that was also on SAC the other day) but the goatskin palm feels a bit too soft for snowboarding wear and tear, so I'm still looking...

The patrol mit is meant for work around the resort. Like setting off bombs, fixing people and whatever else patrollers do. Should be ok for snowboard use I think

edit: I just went and looked at them. I'd buy them for sure. I want a mitt...
I've been and looked at them twice, but I'm still not sure. All round they are the nicest mitt i've seen by far, but that palm leather seems a bit soft for repeatedlt scraping snow out of bindings, even after a good nikwaxing.
Might chance it though, as my spring leather gloves are taking a beating.

Having said that, it was warm enough for riding with no gloves while hiking a small jump for Kuma to take pics.
 Quote:
It SAYS they are for work around resort on the packaging, but the palm leather feels more like its for stroking babies with.
The leather for the Marmot work glove sounds equally as soft, I bought these because they claimed and looked like they could take some rough work, but instead of this dishing it out like a mike tyson punch it feels more like being stroked with feathers. The leather is like soft liquorice.

To add to the weight and warmth of these gloves I bought some nifty Outdoor Research power stretch liners for my gloves, no chance of being cold or wet now! 70720_001_l.jpg
I1814.jpg

Working on my second pair of these the first pair lasted a long time considering I was patrolling at the time. Marmots ultimate ski glove = a good sturdy gauntlet styel glove. Find mits way to warm. I1811.jpg

Quote:

Need to find some soon, before my hands get too cold...

A tough shell mitt would also be good, over either of my existing gloves....
Any decent
Have a look at the flexmetrejapan site.

Could be just what your after....... I Have some of those mitts and they rock!

I'm onto my second pair of Hestra mitts. Mega warm and comfortable. The reason they say no snowboarding on them is that they are made from a standard leather and are designed for skiers. Hestra make the same mit made from "army leather" which has been specially treated to make them tougher. These gloves are recommended to deal with the extra rigors of snowboarding. That said, I have the standard leather ones and they've lasted for 4 full seasons and they are still going strong. Hestra gloves rule! Accept no substitutes!

Quote:
Originally posted by Kumapix:
actually AK wants these gloves: 52108.jpg

I know cuz he told me he loves LEVEL

word thumbsup.gif
Kuma, I couldn't have the same gloves as you, we'd get our wrist guards mixed up!

Bought the Black Diamond Patrol mitts for 8000yen last night.
Hoping the leather works out ok. Will give them a good nikwaxing before using. Deciding factor was that they fit over my pipe gloves for layering up, oh, and they are made of British goats from Somerset (home of cider), so that's nice. Get them back for eating your rucksac, tent, etc when you're camping.

I swing both ways. I wear gloves with a rubbery sticky geographic pattern on the fingers and palms that grips well and handles tasks with fine work well inside a mit. I can adjust how hot my hands are with a second layer if i need. Besides. mitts are just cooler. all those snowboarders couldnt possibly be wrong