Can't we just pay our respects to a fellow skier/rider?

Take it easy, oyuki, we are not trying to be disrespectful to all the poor unfortunates of the world who die for the wrong reasons, but we do feel a connection with this guy because he died doing something that all of us have done and not died. The masses who die daily in various wars, natural disasters, and under the yoke of oppressive governments all deserve our respect, but as Coldcat points out, THIS thread is about an Aussie who died skiing in Niseko, not about solving all the worlds woes.

And playing the race card is pointless and irrelevant. I am Australian, and that is the reason this thread attracted me. If the guy had been American or British or Canadian or French, I might not have even read it. Nothing to do with his race, he was my countryman, even if I never met him.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was in Niseko this winter, I had quite a frightening accident actually while going through the trees. I was with my wife and she got a bit lost (we were new to Niseko) in the tree area to the right of King 3, so I went there and because I didn't want to have to walk later when the slope becomes almost flat I was going quite fast, my board got stuck in between two trees/bushes (not a lot of snow then so still quite a lot of bushes) and I hit my head really hard against a tree. I was wearing a helmet but even so I was feeling kind of dizzy for a few mins after the accident so I decided to call it a day. I think it would have been quite more serious if I hadn't been wearing a helmet.

Off topic alert!!!

If you go off piste, and don't wear a helmet, then don't bother wearing a seatbelt in the car, either. Sure they don't make you immortal, and they can be a pain in the arse, but they do increase your chances of surviving a major SNAFU.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:

The fact is, why should i grieve any more for this guy than all those that perish from poverty or disease in lands we in the west couldn`t give 2 shits about?
No-one's asking you to grieve. A little respect would be sufficient.
  • SnowJapan Moderator

I agree. This thread is not closed, but please no more discussion along the lines of whether or not we should feel any sadness over someone having a fatal accident on the mountains in this particular thread. The points have been made, can we please leave it at that.

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Worm:
Has this been on the Japanese media at all? I'm surprised to not hear anything about it at all (though of course I may just have missed it).
It is a good question Worm. I have not heard anything about it in the Japanese Media.

CB,

this thread has not turned to shite for the very reason that we have tried to keep it on track.

This guy is now very close to us 'cos this is our playground and that's where it went down.

Any comparison to any place else in the world is just not relevant.

is it just me or does it really piss people off that any tragedy that occurs in the situation that you've exactly been in or are about to be in which endangers your life and the future welbeing of your family is trivialized by humanitarian knumbnuts who say "there are thousands of deaths in Africa".

Go to Africa and hang there. Go help out.

These are just the kind of people who are holier than tough but just sit on their arses typing the shit. Sick beyond words.

Thanks for articulating that so well, Thursday. They can all go get f****d, as far as I'm concerned. This guy lived not far from me, we shared a fantastic hobby/sport, and I will pay my respects in a way I see fit.

If anyone has ever met Oyuki you would actually find out that he cares more about the world and other people than most. I doubt the guy would kill the spider about to bite him actually.

I dont think people have to wear helmuts I think that they should wear helmuts. I also dont think that someone is stupid if they rider trees without a helmut, i think that they are a bit silly but thats it.

Half-joking... I'm not seriously suggesting that people shouldn't wear seatbelts, and you'll be happy to hear that I wear both seatbelt and helmet (but not at the same time).

I was making an analogy, using the logic of not wearing a helmet while skiing, reasons like "I've never fallen on a rock/tree, "I'm always really careful", "I've never hit my head", "If I hit hard enough, even a helmet won't stop me getting seriously injured", "They look really gay", etc. If you apply the same logic to seatbelts "I've never been in an accident where the seatbelt saved me", "I'm always really careful", etc., then why wear a seatbelt?

If you disagree with the wearing of helmets, then I would ask you, why DO you wear a seatbelt in the car? (Apart from the law, that is...)

\:\)

• SnowJapan Moderator
 Quote:
It seems the skier died of a brain annurism, was most likely dead before he hit the tree.
Apparently, this information is correct. Just been speaking to a reliable contact in Niseko who knows what happened - basically it seems that the incident was not actually due to a skiing accident -- it was something that could have happened at any time.