Coldcat,

let it go. People grieve in their own way. SG's point is that we are over reacting in our sadness for this event.

I for one would never want to put my family through anything like this. Niseko is a special place to us and so is the snow in our dreams. That is all.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by keba:

I got a copy of the topographic map the ski patrol in Niseko use, and on it are red x's where deaths have occurred, and there were many, largely confined to (but not exclusively) the strictly enforced "no-go" zones.

I was wondering about that. Last year I was sitting in a restaurant in Niseko watching the local news. As I don't speak much Japanese. I was guessing that the story was about a ski accident at Niseko. I thought a death might have been involved, given the story took a good part of the news time and the way they kept showing footage of this one tree.

I picked it up from the patrol at La Ponte in Feb 2004, but the number of fatalities since then is probably small enough to not make a difference to the overall picture. I'll see if I can scan a copy and upload it to the site, as requested by Ger.

Sorry Coldcat.

i do feel bad for those that die uneccassaily, but an entire thread dedicated to some guy that died from his own mistake compared to the thousands that die unnoticed or uncared for seems a little racist to me.

So many people are dying, from much more worse reasons.

The fact is, why should i grieve any more for this guy than all those that perish from poverty or disease in lands we in the west couldn`t give 2 shits about?

People die for many reasons at ski resorts. When you pump over 100000 people through a season something will happen. Car accidents, ski accidents, avalanches etc etc etc. I dont think one death will change the resort in anyway.

The ironic sad part is that we have all crashed and it just takes the wrong crash to get you. Not being there I wouldnt get into the helmut debate. If you slam hard enough a helmut wont help your brain jiggling inside your head.

Oyuki, those who care about the person who died in Niseko are not wrong. Those who don't care about other people dying in the world are wrong. To care about that poor man doesn't imply we don't care about other people dying. This isn't a forum or website about humanitarian work, it's about snow sports in Japan, so it's normal that people express their feelings about someone who died while practicing snow sports in Japan because it's related to the topic of this forum and site. The lives lost in Africa from hunger, or the people that die in the tsunamis, or the people who die in Iraq, or in Palestine/Israel, etc ... are also as sad a fact as it is the accident of this man in Niseko, but that has nothing to do with the main topic of this website/forum and therefore it's just logical that we don't speak about it.

By the way, you completely ignore the circumstances in which this person died in Niseko, so you have no right whatsoever to say whether it was or not his mistake.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oyuki kigan:
Sorry Coldcat.
i do feel bad for those that die uneccassaily, but an entire thread dedicated to some guy that died from his own mistake compared to the thousands that die unnoticed or uncared for seems a little racist to me.
Racist? I don't even know what color he was, nor did I ever think to inquire. And I would further appreciate it if nobody told me.

i don`t want to hijack this tread any more than i have.

i feel sorry for the guys family. But i feel that the attention given to this incident is kinda out of proportion to what is happening in the world right now.

There are people killing each other in the Congo, over minerals we use for cellphones and computers, for f*cks sakes. Where are all the threads and laments about that?

The fact that one lone aussie skier gets a thread, and the other is off the radar for most people is what i consiter `racist`.

by the way, haw many japanese skiers have died and not gotten threads?

it's just relative, oyuki. this is closer to home.

I don't know how many japanese skiers have died. But I do pay attention when my sport takes a hit. It hits home more than other news.

You're right though, I should pay more attention elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally posted by coldcat:
This isn't a forum or website about humanitarian work, it's about snow sports in Japan, so it's normal that people express their feelings about someone who died while practicing snow sports in Japan because it's related to the topic of this forum and site. The lives lost in Africa from hunger, or the people that die in the tsunamis, or the people who die in Iraq, or in Palestine/Israel, etc ... are also as sad a fact as it is the accident of this man in Niseko, but that has nothing to do with the main topic of this website/forum and therefore it's just logical that we don't speak about it.
Maybe in the OFF-TOPIC you will find threads dealing with humanitarian disasters...

I think you are like the say in japanese kangae sugi ("thinking way too much").

you guys are worse then a bunch of drunks at a funeral. You could at least try to keep at a little civil. Suppose the family or friends of this guy use this forum. They would most likely think were all a bunch of spoiled brats that happen to live were there is some great skiing. Ok so this guy is not famous , no one seems to know him and yes there are people dieing in other parts of the world so what. I did not see this type of bickering back and fort when Doug Coombs dided. But then again he was famous.

RIP

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe in the OFF-TOPIC you will find threads dealing with humanitarian disasters...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like the thread: "Rumour... Sudanese death in Darfur"
hmm...

if we had sj memebers living in that area then we may well have, but the fact remains that this is a site about Snow in Japan. Surely a ski-related death here warrants some discussion and mention on this forum. Why is this turning into such a big thing anyway. Oyuki, point taken. But your point shouldn't negate any discussion about a death MUCH closer to home.
 Quote:
Originally posted by quattro:
you guys are worse then a bunch of drunks at a funeral. You could at least try to keep at a little civil. Suppose the family or friends of this guy use this forum. They would most likely think were all a bunch of spoiled brats that happen to live were there is some great skiing. Ok so this guy is not famous , no one seems to know him and yes there are people dieing in other parts of the world so what. I did not see this type of bickering back and fort when Doug Coombs dided. But then again he was famous.

RIP
very civil, thank you.
coombs wasn't a rumor someone was looking to clarify either. Once the rumour became true, the grieving began. And that brings us current.

I'm new here, but seems very relevant to me. It would almost be strange not to discuss something like that happening.

wave.gif

I'm all kitted out with a new helmet for this season. Hoping I can actually get out there as well to use the damn thing!

I can choose to pay my attention where I see fit. The guy getting it in Niseko is very close to home to me and I wish to know more. Maybe learn from “mistakes”. But apparently it was a medical condition that got him.

The fact that thousands are dying all over the world is not deserving of the same focus; I have never been to the Sudan, I have never met anyone there. However, I have been all over Niseko and the guy could’ve been anyone of us who have been to Niseko. Scarey isn’t it.