• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some perspective: 62 Australians died over the recent holiday period in Austraila - 62. Why does reading this thread feel like this guy was something really special? is it because he a skier and we feel some connection to him? like we knew him? One Australian (who likely none of us knew) dying on ski mountain in Japan, is it more tragic than a car accident?

It is sad and terrible news undoubtedly and I dont wish it upon anyone but did he die doing something noble? he was one unlucky guy persuing his selfish leisure activity and he came to grief, reading this thread I feel like I am reading about the death of a well known and respected public figure.

the perspective of that is very true sg, but it is still sad nonetheless. That's all. I don't really feel deeply sad, but still think it is a sad bit of news. I guess that is what many on here were expressing. Perhaps it is because we can also relate to the circumstances. How many of us have had close calls running through trees?

Quote:
How many of us have had close calls running through trees?
Thats why I wear a helmet. What would be truly sad is if this guy wasnt wearing one, he still may have died with a helmet, but if didnt have one he didnt give himself that extra chance.

I think we all feel a connection to a fellow snowslider regardless of race, religion, or nationality. It could happen to any of us. We could be standing on the side of a run and get taken out by an out of control lunatic, hit a jib wrong, or have a tree jump out in front of you...anytime a fellow snowsports enthusiast dies - it touches all of us. Where your helmets and be safe.

-SJA

Quote:
Originally posted by SirJibAlot:
I think we all feel a connection to a fellow snowslider regardless of race, religion, or nationality. It could happen to any of us. We could be standing on the side of a run and get taken out by an out of control lunatic, hit a jib wrong, or have a tree jump out in front of you...anytime a fellow snowsports enthusiast dies - it touches all of us. Where your helmets and be safe.

-SJA
I quit patrolling the day after holding a man's hand after a collision with another skier. Every ten minutes or so his unconscious body would throw his other hand in the air and give us a thumbs up, it was the only way he could communicate that he was ok to his family waiting in the hall. I was 20.

who cares if he had a helmet or not. A positive vibe for enjoying his last day on earth, doing what he loved. That is what the mom preached to her children in her brave display of motherhood when I witnessed such a situation so many winters ago... and it's worth repeating.

I wonder how this will affect our industry at Niseko and around Japan. I truly apologize for sounding insensitive or inappropriate. If I was directly or indirectly connected to this person or his family I'd probably feel nothing but sadness but I'm not. The poor guy died doing something dangerous that he loved, which is the risk that we take. If resorts go too far to minimize that risk for me and my friends, we really won't have much fun ...and terrible accidents like this inevitably lead resorts to rethink policy, right? I hope the accident leads riders to get helmets and to carefully weigh the risks of what they are doing, rather than leading resorts to try to safe-guard our sport.

Apologies for coming across insensitive here.

Ger, this is not the first death to occur in Niseko. The last one was somebody being caught in an avalanche.

This huge resort machine will march on with the lessons learnt and hopefully not forgotten.

Anybody know precisely where this occurred?

Without knowing exactly where the death occurred, I'm guessing that all of us who have skied Niseko have been in those trees, and a death is definitely sobering, even if we didn't know him from a bar of soap, or if he was wearing a helmet.

I got a copy of the topographic map the ski patrol in Niseko use, and on it are red x's where deaths have occurred, and there were many, largely confined to (but not exclusively) the strictly enforced "no-go" zones.

SG, if I heard that someone had died in a car accident on an intersection or highway that I frequented, I would feel the same way.

Guys, as unneccassary as this dude`s death was, he was doing a fairly exclusive, expensive sport at one of the premier ski hills in Japan. Of all the ways to die, going out while on vacation skiing is surely not one of the worst. Its not like he was beaten by a bunch of trees, it was most likly his own mistake.

People are dying everyday in much more horrible ways, from circumstances beyond their control. Wwhere are the tears for the starved, while we waste so much food?

Or the dead from weapons that our taxes paid for?

There are a few instances in history that have altered my skiing. There are a few lines at Kirkwood that come to mind right now that I will never ski because of what went down during my shifts.

difficult or not, frequented or not, when you're present- the line becomes something else.

I wasn't present for this Australian, but I would still feel it I'm sure. If somebody were to point it out, I would definetely avoid it at all costs.

I don't know if it's respect or fear. Either way, I pray for the families.

I feel for this more than for a car death because it is snow related and we all think of it as a fun recreation activity. This sort of event reminds us that we are human and need to respect nature.

I don't know if that is wrong, or if it makes sense, its just what I feel!! Also felt bad for the guy in Jackson last week and Coombes last season and all other snow deaths I heard of.

sg, forgive my rudeness but your post was not only insensitive but also superficial.

The fact that there are many people dying everyday in the world doesn't mean that we should not feel for the death of those related to us.

Death is something sad, and feeling sad about it is natural. What is even more natural and logical is to feel sad when we witness the death of someone who is somehow close to us.

The person that died in Niseko was ,like us, a snow lover, and in that sense he was close to us. And the fact that he died in a place which many of us frequent such as Niseko makes it a very near event, it is almost as if somebody died in our own house.

The fact that we can't grieve the death of every single person who dies in the world everyday, doesn't mean that we should not grieve AT LEAST the ones that are somehow related to us.

I don't mean to be rude to you, I'm sure you are a great guy and I honestly mean it. Just I didn't like your post. Somebody died and we should be respectful to him and his family.

Wouldn't you feel ashamed if a member of the family of the person who has died read your post? I would, even if it wasn't me the one who wrote the post, just because I consider myself part of Snow Japan and that post was posted in this forum.