So it seems there was more snow last weekend but not everywhere. Niseko seems to be doing better and Hakuba too. Niigata still seems to be struggling.

But pretty much everywhere less than what is expected for early Jan.

Right?

Anything to add people in the know?

Quote:
Originally posted by muikabochi:
Struggling about sums it up probably \:\)

I believe though. I believe a huge dumpage will be with us very soon. And we will return to being Snow Country.

I believe.
newpost.jpg

I want to believe too. Well using a old saying.

Time will tell.

Great day today. We went to Yamagata Akakura rather than Kurobushi Kogen. Weather and snow conditions were absolutely perfect. Mild, with no wind and weak sunshine. The groomers had about 5cm untracked powder over a good base. About 25cm of untracked powder off piste. That snow was as good as it gets.

This is what it looked like when we arrived.

soubriquet_126.jpg

From the top of the chair.

soubriquet_127.jpg

They tend to take it a bit for granted. No1 really need to have some formal lessons to advance. No2 refuses to take instruction from me, so I let him do it his way. I have simply suggested that he try to get his skis parallel traversing and shussing.

That's the red run. There's a blue running down to the left. There were about 100 school children sliding down that on plastic bags, about 40 soldiers with leather boots and telemark gear, and some racers there. On our run were a handful of old fogies on skis (that's me), and boarding dudes.

Good point. I'll dig out the Manuel and set the camera up for autodrive. Action shots to come.

FWIW, still snowing here and we had a classic weather pattern today. We have had more or less constant light snow from a thin layer of low cloud. The cloud continuous, but thin and patchy enough to see blue sky through. Very little wind. Yamagata is going to have fresh snow every day for the next week, at least.