I really hope they find these people.

(Got to say, why anyone would want to go out in the weather today beats me. Heavy rain/snow, incredibly strong winds. It doesn't sound appealing to me at all. I think even if I was on a planned few days trip that I couldn't really get out of, I'd still do something else like take an onsen).

It seems that the 6 people that were missing at Shiga were found.

One of them called the parents, who contacted the patrol, who contacted the missing people.

The patrol told them to dig a cave and huddle up. They were found at around 2a.m.

Can't find an update on the missing person from 47.

長野県白馬村の「白馬47スキー場」で7日、ス 494;ーボード中に行方不明になった神奈川県鎌倉市岩 瀬、杉山広次さん(24)は8日午前8時45分 372;ろ、捜索中の県警ヘリがゲレンデ東側の樹林帯で 発見、約30分後に救助された。

けがはなく、意識もしっかりしているという。

it was all headline news tonight on NHK News 9, all were looking very sheepish about their ordeals, on the bright side they are all safe and sound and thankfully not gaijin because we know how the media and public opinion would have played that card.

I think the guy at 47 was just in the trees within the resort. It sounds like he ended up off piste and freaked out. It beats heading on regardless and finding a cliff or waterfall though.

Most of the other folk just got lost off the runs. A couple from Kobe who did go up above Tsugaike right the big storm and got lost. They're the ones who are the clowns of the week. I hope they get charged for the search.

to most of us who consider ourselves accomplished riders; how many times have you turned off piste in search of visibility? I saw a 4 year old riding alone in last week's blizzard. I was shocked. Visibility was 2 meters on piste. I was actually surprised that the mountain was open in those conditions. That was one of the worst storms of my 30 season tenure. I remember watching snowflakes three centimeters apart randomly chase each other in front of my face. couldn't see the chair in front of me. If I would have gotten hurt, NOBODY would ever have known about it. My wife wouldn't have been home until 11:30 to discover me missing. If I would have poached one of my notorious lines, wrapped my ankle around a tree, I'd be that dude on the news. It's sooooooo possible, and you know it. There's nothing to be embarrased about, if you have the stupidity/courage to ride heavy storms, you know how real the risk is. I'm a pass holder, I know where the lift is. The holiday-goers, they try to read maps in those conditions, just trying to get their money's worth. Poor guys. they'll probably despise riding after that... It sucks their holiday powder fest instantly turned into a very feasible nightmare- one that will be told over and over and over and over every holiday season from here on out. "remember that time we went snowboarding... what a dumb idea that was. I'll never do that again." I just feel bad when this stuff happens, and the media turns it into an even worse situation by pointing fingers, like they're some sort of lower-intelligence. I've totally looked over that edge.

I actually DID fall off the piste in Hakuba last week in white-out conditions.

Ended upside down in some small trees.

Not hurt - just embarassing \:o

It was early in the day so there was never an issue of getting stuck and not being found (I was on my own), but if it was later in the day...

Anyway glad everyone's OK. Here in europe there have been 8 deaths in avalanches in past few days.