I seem to recall something like this happening last season as well and Gala being on the news.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/yuzawa-now.php

"This afternoon at around 2pm, the gondola at Gala Yuzawa had to stop due to 20m/s strong winds. No one is on the gondola but there are 3000 or so people still at the top resthouse waiting for the gondola to take them down the mountain. Let's hope they can get down sooner rather than later".

• SnowJapan Admin

Yes there was something like this last season as well, can't remember actually when (it'll be in the archives \:\) )

With the really strong winds here now, don't know when they'll be able to get that moving again. I wonder if anyone from the forums is up there...

Something like that happened at 47 over Christmas. The problem was, as the lower parts of the slopes were closed due to lack of snow, people couldn't just ski down so every one was forced to queue for the gondola which was slow and sometimes stopping because of the winds. A good number were stuck up there, but I don't think there was as much as 3000.

I was at Happo and called it a day early in the afternoon because of the wind (on hindsight, that was a good decision). Poor BCS was up there with some off my group and was treated to a really scary ride down that gondola with them after queuing and waiting for a long time. Actually the ski patrol asked those who were willing to ski/board down all the way to do so under their lead and supervision. That shortened the queue considerably.

There are reports that the shinkansen was also stopped due to the winds/snow. Looks like the winds are blasting the hell out Niigata at the moment - but looks to be calming down a bit later tonight/early morning.

-SJA

You still planning on coming tomorrow SirJib? I'd save your cash for a better day if I were you. It's been raining heavily most of the day, still not really snowing and really strong winds that are forecast into tomorrow. We might get more snow tomorrow but with the wind and a good chance of gondolas and the like to not be moving again tomorrow I can think of much better days to make the trip.

I'm on the fence at the moment. On the one hand I have my shinkansen tickets and my board bag packed - but i don't want to be stuck in a gondola in a$$ blasting winds. The forecast has the winds dieing down, but still significant tomorrow. What do others think? Should I skip tomorrow?

-SJA

Oh man that's lame, isn't there a cat track up the mountain?

Guess it was a good idea to cancel the plans eh SJA?

They're bitches about changing your Shinkansen tickets too. I bet they told those people they have to buy another ticket. They should give them a room for the night and first tracks in the morning for that. Did they mention anything about what the resort is doing for them?

I think I can change my tickets once or get a refund (according to the T&C). I'm going up to Iwappara next Sunday with some collegues - so I can always use it then....

We'll have to put together a trip once the winds calm down.

-SJA

Looks like Gala is closed today due to the continued high winds and the headaches of yesterday but Ishiuchi is open and telling everyone to come on over...wierd.

Looks like 'Yuzawa Now' boy is sleeping in today as he hasn't posted a NOW report yet. Maybe I should go back to bed and sleep in today too...

-SJA

Quote:
Looks like Gala is closed today due to the continued high winds and the headaches of yesterday but Ishiuchi is open and telling everyone to come on over...wierd.
Haha, I'd take what they say with a huge pinch of salt! Don't want to accuse places of lying, but, er, sometimes you don't really get the 'real picture'. (I would however recommend Iwappara as being the one resort in the area that almost tells it like it is).

Then of course there's the now page which doesn't shy away at all from telling us when it's crap (and that is a very good thing). \:\)

Nope, not in the least.

(On the same subject, you sometimes sound rather full of yourself). ;\)

If I remember that was one time and it was very quickly edited and explained. Hardly meant in the way it came across.