Its easy to see why countries like Switz. and Austria dominate the winter olympics. Their Mountains are steep and rugged. The last time I was in skiing in Europe I saw older women blasting through powder and carving giant GS turn down some really steep terain. Im huffing and puffing legs burning and there go women my moms age blowing by me. Brought a tear to my eye.

How about Norway?

Can declining snowfalls be a problem in Norway too?

It sounds really expensive though.

My own place suits me, a private chalet or a tent, considering my finances,

it's a tent for the forseeable future.

Waking up in a bomber tent after heavy overnight snowfalls, sitting in the doorway under cover of the vestibule, cooking a fresh b/f is just as good as waking up on a yacht off a Coral Sea island.

Considering the Euro/Yen exchange rate,

Japan is as cheap and cheerful as chips.

Okay, sounds like you've got to go to the snow in Europe at least once.

There are reasons to be rich, I guess...

It's a record breaking year in Europe. My friend is in Sweden right now on a month long posting. His hosts have said that this is the first winter in 100 years when there was no snow for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mantas:
Snobery, crowds and expense.
I'm not sure about the snobery and expense part (hotels are pricey, but everywhere you go you have a big selection of flats and backpackers places that don't cost much. If you avoid the ritzier restaurants, food is not that expensive and lift tickets prices are the same of the US resorts, if not cheaper), but crowds can be a real problem if you hit the big resorts. I remember reading in the annual report of Televerbier (the company that controls lift and terrain in Verbier) that the biggest factor in the increasing number of people on their slopes is the amount of tourists flying in from the UK, to the point that in Verbier there are now more skiers/boarders from the UK than from France and Italy combined. This year they expect that the number of clients from the UK will be more than the half of that of Swiss tourists. Of course Verbier has an international appeal, but it's not the only swiss resort where the number of foreign tourists (from Benelux and Russia, as well) is growing steadily and this could mean carnage if you go during one major vacation. Not only on the slopes, but in restaurants, bars, on the street, etc.

Simon- I was just stating what people have said to me. Not having skied there, it's all I've got to go on. I have been there though, and no I didn't come across any snobery. I did find it expensive though.

Sorry Mantas, I didn't want to single out your comment. I quoted it because it was the perfect synthesis of what a lot of people think about skiing in Switzerland. ;\)

Quote:
I just checked the snow report of the places I skiied in Italy and Austria. Both have less than 50cm coverage today.
Italy got hit pretty hard by the lack of snow. I wouldn't be too sure even about those 50cm. :-/