8-10 hour stop over in tokyo on return flight

Hi everyone,

My sister and I have roughly an 8-10 hours between flights in Tokyo on our return to Australia, so were thinking of checking our luggage through to Sydney from Sapporo, then checking out some of tokyo.

Obviously we'll need to allow for checkin at Narita etc, so perhaps realistically there's half that time, so 4-5 hours for looking around.

Where can i see a map of where the airports are in relation to each other? I'm visual, so reading words doesn't really help, I need to see a picture ;\)

Just discovered Google earth the other day.

I know I'm always a bit behind. I keep telling people about it, and there like "Old news bro".

I can't stop playing with it, I've been lookin for different mountains, my house, and work place. Pretty fun.

Does anyone have the advanced one that you have to pay for?

I can't access it from my work PC and my home laptop doesn't have enough grunt to run it. Tried, but it puts itself into safe mode when i try to run it.

Google maps is in Japanese and the searches I've done have brought up parks in the middle of tokyo

It takes 1 hour to get to Tokyo Station from Narita on the Narita express. From there it is a short stroll to the Palace grounds. You could also take the train to Shibuya from Tokyo station(approx 25 min) which is like the time square of Japan. Lots of shopping bars and restaurants. Definately worth heading out to. If you want to go window shopping try the Ginza strip which is only a five minute taxi from Tokyo station.

I live in Narita, it`s only 55 mins on the Keisei Limited express train to Nippori. Here you can catch the Yamanote line to all major parts of Tokyo. Also the Keisei train is only 780yen to tokyo rather than the 3,000 yen for the NEX JR train, or the 1000 yen for the rapid JR train which both do it in about the same time. (except NEX goes direct to Shibuya). From Haneda you have to change a few times which adds time, just change at Shinagawa onto Yamanote and then get off at Nippori. There is also the Keisei Skyliner which is bit quicker and about 1700yen. Also from Nippori or Ueno.

If youa re in Narita for a night, check out the Barge Inn its a british pub, or there is the Hard Rock Cafe now in the Aeon shopping Mall.

Go to Ginza, check out the lights, you can change at Nippori for that I believe. Go to Akhiabara (SP??)to check out the electronics on the way back to the airport, and right next door is the Kanda ski shop district. Or you could check out a shinto temple, they are pretty cool. If you get lost just open a lonely planet guide and look at some signs, someone will offer you assistance in English within about 30 seconds, the Japanese are a great bunch of people ;\)

Our flight from Sapporo is domestic and we'll be transferring to Narita for the flight to Sydney, so will travelling from haneda to narita take us anywhere near Tokyo metro area or around it or nowhere near it?

Thanks for the info so far, I have asked others who have been there and live there and they say it's possible or at least not impossible as some here have suggested.

We won't be able to overnight or spend a few days, tickets are already booked and paid for, that will have to wait until the next trip when I ski somewhere on Honshu ;\)

To get from Haneda to Narita you will need to take the monorail from Haneda to Hamamatsucho.

Once at Hamamatsucho, change trains there and Tokyo is three stops on the the Yamanote line. (Hamamatsucho - Shinbashi - Yurakucho - Tokyo).

From Tokyo you can then take the Narita Express to get out to the Airport (1hr).

In between Hamamatsucho and Tokyo you've got:

Hamamatsucho -

Souzouji - a big temple 15 mins walk from Hamamatsucho station. (good coffee shop along the way as well if you're dying for some quality coffee - a rarity in Japan! ;\) )

Ginza

Get off at either Shinbashi or Yurakucho and its a short walk.

Ginza's night neon is pretty cool. If you're a foodie, go down to the basements of the department stores such as Matsuzakaya and Mitsukoshi, and check out how the Japanese do virtually every kind of food. Also I would definitely recommend some belgian chocolate sampling while you're there ;\)

Yurakucho

Bic Camera is a one stop shop for all electronic needs (and more - i.e. sporting equipment, alcohol etc etc - pretty cheap).

The Imperial Palace is not far from here as well - dump ur stuff in a locker and head over there. There's some cool views of the sky scraper district (sky scraper by Aussie standards anyway ;\) )

The Narita Express will leave from Tokyo on the 1/2 hr so just be sure to judge ur timing.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/to_narita.html

If you have time and wanted to see some markets, head 3 stops past Tokyo on the Yamanote line and get off at Okachimachi. Theres a cool little market section called Ameyokocho which is right under / next to the train tracks. Lots of clothes, Japanese foods, CDs. Great little section of Tokyo..

Good luck!

Careful checking straight through.....we checked straight throught to Sapporo in Sydney last year (the check in lady was adamant that we could do it!)

We left Narita without our bags, got to our hotel in haneda and then got a message saying our bags were waiting for us to go through customs at Narita....a real pain.....may not happen on the way back though as they wont have to go through customs, but they would have to transport your bags between airports...that means $$$$$.....be sure that they can do it!!!

Thanks longboardsk8man and everyone, yet again \:\)

I've been told by a few people at work that checking through from Sapporo straight through to Sydney on JAL shouldn't be a problem, but I will call before i leave here and check in Sapporo etc.

My flight times are

Syd-Osaka 9.5hrs

Tokyo-Syd 10 hours

Both are direct flights, no stop overs.

podlette:

"so will travelling from haneda to narita take us anywhere near Tokyo metro area or around it or nowhere near it?"

You have to go through the centre of Tokyo (more or less) if you travel between the two airports - Haneda's built on the bayside area of southern Tokyo and Narita is out in the centre of Chiba prefecture, well outside Tokyo to the north east. You probably won't see much on the journey, though. That depends on the route that you take. One of the lines runs undergound for much of the Tokyo part.

Why not do a one night stopover? you could fit a lot into that amount of time with a little planning