G'Day! We are travelling to Japan for the first time toward the end of January for a couple of weeks and had a few questions if anyone can help?

Heading to Shiga Kogen first and Hakuba second.

Accomodation and planes are sorted out but that's it.

Was thinking to get a JR pass and I know there are buses to both hakuba and shiga kogen from nagano but do we have to book for these? Can you fit luggage and ski gear on them? Also, does anyone know if there is an ATM in Shiga Kogen (Staying at Prince Hotel)?

Cash seems to be everyones advice but can I buy lift tickets on foreign Visa?

Twould be really helpful if anyone knows the answers to all this?

Also, everyone makes out that it's really cold but the forecast temps don't look that cold (-10ish) is that right?

Thanks in advance

Deciding whether to get the rail pass or not is a matter of math. It's not cheap, but if you are going to be on the shinkansen and JR a lot, then it might be worth it...just run some rough calculations.

If you get the JR pass, I believe you can use it to catch the Azusa from Shinjuku to Hakuba directly. Otherwise the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagano and bus transfer would work. The bus has space for luggage underneith the bus. Beware though that the Shinkansen/Azusa doesn't have space for bulky luggage.

I've never had a probably buying lift passes with CC but not sure about ATM, i'm not familar with Shiga Kogen.

Weather changes - check the forecast and be prepared.

I'm sure others can fill in the gaps that I haven't answered, hope this helps.

-SJA

Shink has luggage compartments at each end of the carriages and room enough to put some above your head. Never had a problem with a pack and a snowboard bag. Tickets can be bought at Happo and 47 on Visa. -10ish is about right.

You need to apply for the railpass in advance, travel agents can generally work it out for you. For the Bus to Hakuba at Nagano station, you can just buy tickets at the bus stop - no reservations needed.

Check a map of Tokyo, Shinjuku is in central Tokyo.

-SJA

OK then, lots of mars bars to be imported then \:\)

What about the hot choccies, tell me you can get them not only at vending machines but at bars/mountain huts as well - assuming there are mountain huts - surely they have mountain huts, they have to have mountain huts.... eek.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by eskimobasecamp:
AK might have a mars bar or 2 in one of his many pockets.

You really are a FAT ski dude.... worried about mars bars and hot chocolate?! LOL
lol.gif That's priceless.

Airfare to Japan $800
Return bus to Haks $80
Waist deep pow at Happo for a week $500

A mars bar dipped in coco priceless.

Yes a little overweight due to the addiction to mars bars while skiing, the fat ski reference is actually meant to refer to the wicth of the skis but they do help spread the load and stop me sinking in pow so much....

maybe carrying the fat skis will work off some of the body fat.... cool.gif

With regards to buying lift tickets with your credit card - why don't you get your travel agent to package the lift tickets in with your accom? Then it is one less thing to be carrying cash around for. (Only works if you are planning on sking every day, regardless of the weather though!!)

We are in Shiga in about a week and are wondering if we can use our card to do the ski rental - I guess we'll take enough cash just in case! Love to knwo if there is an ATM that accepts Aussie issued cards. Perhaps at Nagano station?

Happy skiing and chocolate eating!

wave.gif

no Tim Tams here either so we brought our own!...but you can buy Milo in the Justgo supermarket at Hakuba Village! And try the Italian Hot Chocolate at the Virgin Cafe at Happo One if you ski there...it is too die for!

We had no probs just getting on the bus and paying the driver from Nagano to Hak, I am sure same would apply for the Shig bus. Also had no prob buying anything on credit card but have not tried accessing cash from ATMs